View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #133
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRooper View Post
My STi rear calipers had a weight attached to it. The weights are not visible when mounted to the car. It also did not affect the wheel fitment at all. Brake noise is inevitable with a fixed caliper performance brake system. Higher end cars have expensive ways of silencing this noise. Since the Camaro must operate within a certain price point, dampner aesthetics will take a backseat to function. Here is a pic of my STi Brembo rear calipers. The fronts were very noisy as I was running some pretty aggressive pads with titanium shims and no stop squeal.
STI also adds a decent size lump if steel onto the front upright forging that is not on the WRX (but the rear is the bolt-on you have shown). This helps damp vibrations transmitted from the caliper to the rest of the corner assembly. I would take a guess that the Camaro would also benefit from a similar approach, but the required design, test and tooling change would be very expensive. The weighted brake pads are the most cost-effective solution (if they work...). Automakers typically prioritize the mitigation of NVH issues over aftermarket wheel fitment.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote