Thread: Garage Opener
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
The only pictures I have are in the other thread (link already posted above).

The wiring is fairly simple. There's a 12v and ground wire lead you need to solder onto the homelink device since the GM wiring harness (for the 1SS) does not include the flat (male) wiring connector to plug into the home link device. I just searched my pictures and I cannot find a picture of the two leads soldered to the homelink device. I had to remove the homelink device from its plastic casing to solder the wire leads to the circuit board edge where the wire harness connector should go. If I could have found a similar flat connector I would have purchased it and used that instead of soldering directly on the homelink circuit board.

There's a switched 12v wire [pink in color] in the wiring harness that leads out to the center rear view mirror. Normally, the Homelink remote has a non-switched 12v supply, but I did not feel like running a power lead to a fuse panel. I used a fused wire tap to get to the 12v power in the lead going to the mirror (that is unused in a 1SS).

The programming of the homelink is like any other homelink device and it should be covered in the owner manual. The basics are you need to hold the left most and right most buttons for at least 20 seconds until the LED starts blinking (this means it has been cleared of any previous codes/programming). Then you press each button (and hold) while pressing the original remote you're trying to make the homelink emulate until the homelink quickly blinks (meaning it picked up the programming). There are some additional steps with rolling code garage door openers (sometimes) that need to be done on the remote opener.

The only "tricky" part of getting this console out is that the dome light covers two mounting screws. You need to remove the dome light to get to the screws and I could not find an easy way to remove it from the console to gain access to the screws. I didn't try too hard, but it would be nice to know what I missed in removing the dome light (without breaking anything). I believe, while pulling down on the console I used a screw driver to push on the spring clip of the dome light to get it out. Not the best solution, but it worked. You must be careful otherwise you'll break the plastic of the headliner console if you pull to hard.