View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Panthor373

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS A6 vert
Here's what you need to know about exhaust on our cars.

1. Long tube headers will make you the most power (20-40 HP on an SS), amp up your exhaust note slightly and will require a professional dyno tune to make the most gains and reset your O2 sensor light. Short tube headers won't give you much of anything (5-10 HP maaybe)
2. Catbacks will give you 5-10 HP and will effect your sound the most drastically and dynamically depending on brand, doesn't require a dyno tune
3. Long tubes and high flow cats will require a tune and will almost always give you heavy and bassy cabin drone from 1000-2500 rpms compared to stock. This is because the accoustics of the original x-pipes and mufflers were sound engineered for noise cancellation.

The way around this would be to custom fab some J pipes after you install and figure out what rpm your max drone is at, one capped j pipe for each exhaust pipe.

Basically it depends how loud you want the inside of your car to be, whether or not you're naturally aspirated, and whether you're going for power gains or aethetics. Personally, I've run headers and experimented with different catbacks in the past but since my car is a DD, choose now to run only headers on stock exhaust. Sounds like a beast at WOT and keeps me sleeping from the cops when I don't feel rowdy ; )

Personal preference and goals are all it comes down to. Good luck!