View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Responses to the responses in BLUE

Responses to responses to responses in sea green (this could seriously get out of control)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty
So I read through some of the threads on here, and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so started my own thread.

I am needing to buy some detailing products- I am not opposed to buying Adam's products, in fact I do intend to buy some, but I am on a budget, and I can't afford the whole 9 yards from Adam's at the moment, so if all you are going to suggest is Adam's, please try not to

We'll go through what I have been using, and what I still need to get-

Interior -
-I have the Meguiar's Interior quick detailer, it seems to do pretty well, and -I like that it is NOT glossy.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll never recommend a customer throw out a perfectly functional product to replace it with ours. When you run out and you have a choice give ours a try, but in the meantime use what you got! Thanks, noted.

-I don't have anything for the leather seats, at the moment, do I need a cleaner AND a conditioner, specifically for the leather/vinyl?
No. Modern leather seating surfaces are actually urethane coated so having a leather specific treatment is not necessary. There are companies out there that want you to believe it is necessary to have a product for each surface, but its not. The important thing is protection and NO SLIP! Our Leather & Interior Conditioner is SPF 65, dries without gloss, and is not slippery. It can be used on all interior surfaces like your dash, door panels, steering wheel, shifter, etc.
Your response to the interior cleaner above negates the need for another cleaner, for now, Thanks
Keep in mind cleaners and conditioners are 2 entirely different things... one cleans and one restores/protects... you need products for both of those uses, but you don't need specific ones for both the dash and the seats if you're using ours or a similar 'non material specific' product.

-I do need to pick up some glass cleaner, all I have is some stuff a guy sold me at a Shell station, LOL. What do you guys use?
I'm sure you can guess what I use
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-431-a...ollection.aspx

What I have is a cleaner/wax waterless wash from RGS Labs.

Exterior -
-I need some soap, is there actually much of a difference in car was soaps?
HUGE differences! Concentration of the chemical is part of it, but foaming, lubricity, and sustained suds all play a factor as well. Our soap is class leading all these points. ALSO, and maybe more importantly is the pH factor... our soap is perfectly balanced (7 = neutral) so it will not strip your wax. Many soaps sold as "car wash" are less than balanced so essentially each time you wash your car you're degrading the wax/sealant - effectively working against yourself!
Noted. I assume that if i do eventually get a foam gun, same soap for either hand or foaming use?
Works in a foam gun or in a bucket.

-Wheel Cleaner - lol, same stuff as the glass cleaner- some stuff that a guy sold me at a Shell station, but it actually works pretty well and seals alright, so i think the wheels are good.
Confused here... is it a cleaner or a sealant? Not likely its both. For most light cleaning soap and water will suffice... if you need something to target brake dust buildup for any reason our Green Wheel Cleaner is that product. Also applying wax or sealant to your wheels (the same stuff you use on the rest of the car is fine) will help protect them and keep them easier to clean. Obviously the most durable product you can use is ideal... I use Machine Superwax myself with excellent results.
I've been using the same waterless wash/wax product from RGS Labs. I think the bit of wax in it helps release brake dust easier.

Yeesh! The FW1 stuff people sell at gas stations? No comment.

-Quick detailer - I have and like this detailer that I bought from the local hand wash/detail place, it's private label, runs like $10/bottle, anybody using like Meguiar's or Mother's or other?
I'll leave this one to the people who have used the others recently. Depending on how you use your QD spray there are a number of things you should be looking for. Our sprays strongest traits are the shine it leaves and the fact it doesn't streak like many do. Plus it smells good enough to eat
Well, I'll obviously use it with the clay bar, but otherwise, I do use the QD to touch up smudges, moisture marks, etc for cruises, etc... what should I be looking for?

Your aerosol stuff likely won't have the proper liquidity or lubricity to serve as a clay lubricant. People also use Detail Spray as a drying agent and a pad primer, as well as for between wash wipe downs. I certainly wouldn't recommend the FW1 stuff as a pad primer or drying agent either.

-Clay bar - I have yet to clay bar a vehicle, but I want to do my Camaro. Is there much difference in the clay (outside of size) between, say Adam's and/or Megiuar's?
Only differences are grades. All clay until the end of this year has to be produced by the AutoMagic corporation due to a patent law... almost all clay sold OTC and consumer grade is "fine" so really the only differences you'll see are color and quantitiy.

-Polish - I fully intend to order Adam's Brilliant Glaze. Done.
Brilliant Glaze is not a polish. Not done?
Goes to show how much I know... so I should hav a polish, and a glaze then?
YES!
Polishes CORRECT a finish
Wax/Sealant PROTECT a finish
Glazes ENHANCE a finish

each one performs a specific task, glaze will make things shine but it won't remove defects like swirl marks. Thats where polishes come in.

-Wax I have some Meguiar's NXT tech wax, seems OK, thoughts?
For an over the counter product not bad stuff at all.
I've got almost a full bottle, so good to know that it's not horrid stuff, LOL

-Tires- I have used Meguiar's Endurance gel for years, plan on getting some Adam's VRT to try. I hate sticky sidewalls and slinging silicone.
You'll love VRT, 110% guaranteed!! Looking forward to it.

-Underhood - I need some cleaner here, out of the Castrol Super clean that I was using. Thoughts?
A general cleaner/degreaser works well. I use our All Purpose Cleaner diluted 1:1 with water. Kinda figured there wasn't a magical solution, LOL

In regards to applicators, I have a stack of micro fiber wax aplicators, which I typically use for just about everything accept the Glass and wheels/tires. Are they actually going to do more harm than good on the paint? I've looked at the paint after using, and don't see signs that they're leaving swirls.

Microfiber applicators are fine. Less than ideal for getting even application and longevity as they tend to deteriorate quickly, but nothing wrong with them if you have them and assuming they're not cheapy/low quality MF.

What about wash mits? I have some, but admittedly, they're not new. As long as I clean them properly, should they be OK? I do need to get a drying towel though. What's the difference between the waffle weave towel and the great white drying towel from Adams?
What material are they? What kind of condition are they in?
I generally recommend replacing your wash pads as for the most-part they're cheap and are very important for reducing the chances of new swirls.

Dylan, thanks for the honest answers
No problem. If you need anything else I'm available via email anytime:

Dylan@AdamsPolishes.com

I'm also going to PM you my cell phone number so if you have anymore questions you don't have to bother finding a 4th color to use in our convo here

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote