View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN169 View Post
I own a 2012 camaro SS1RS with an L99 engine. Went to the drag strip to see what it would do stock ( 1/4 mile in 13.905 @101.40). Before I made my 1st pass some butthead at the track told me to run with no air filter so like an uninformed dumbass I took out the air filterNeedless to say it threw code P1516 reduced engine power and ran like crap. Got the code removed and it runs fine and has not thrown another code but seems to lack power. I use to be able to put it in competive mode and smoke the tires all the way through 1st and into 2nd. Now even if its in competive mode it will smoke em for about five seconds then just take off.

Bought it to the dealer and they said nothing is wrong because the code won't come back on. Tried pulling ECU and TCU fuses with no results. Recently switched to premium gas instead of regular. Read thread about pulling fuse 15 to reset high octane fuel program, so I'm gonna try that.

If anyone has had this problem or just knows what to do please help. I'm so fustrated with the lack of power I'm considering trading it in on a Scion FRS.
You should run premium in it all the time. It's going to feel like a huge turd if it's knocked itself into the low octane table, which it most likely has if you run regular normally. I doubt anything was actually hurt running without the filter. Be careful comparing spring/summer performance to fall/winter also. The hotter the air the more sluggish it's going to feel...so if you're comparing your performance right now in June versus December or so - yeah it's going to feel different.

I'd also get thee to a dyno, if you don't want it tuned at least just three pulls to see if it is making the power it should. A lot of times what people feel or don't feel is often in their head, but a dyno or a track testing will tell you if you're on par with the others.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote