View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #442
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Okay, got the Pfadt Tri-Y headers installed. I was surprised at the "before" dyno as it showed 32 less rwhp than the Hess Motorsports dyno did when they put the Bassani headers and comp cam in. Hess gave me a dyno sheet showing 468 rwhp. At GTR the before run showed 436. The "after" run which was with the Pfadt headers showed a marginal increase in hp; 440 vs 436 but a nice boost in torque from about 2200-4300 rpm which is exactly where you want more torque for pulling out of corners on the track.

Below is the dyno with best runs for before with the Bassani headers in blue, and after with the Pfadt headers in red.
Name:  BlueAngel Pfadt headers dyno.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  164.0 KB

Sound impression: the Pfadt headers with their cats have a mellower, smoother tone compared to the Bassani which have more of a bark. The Pfadts sound great at full throttle though. I actually liked the sound of the Bassani headers but I'm assuming the tone of the Pfadts will sharpen a bit once the hi-flow cats break in.

Driving impression: I could feel the torque right away; especially in 3rd gear at 3500 rpm. At about 2250 rpm you can see on the dyno chart the Pfadt headers have 10 more hp and 15 lbs more torque and that holds until about 2700 rpm when the Bassani's catch up but then at 3500 rpm the Pfadts give smoother more consistent power and more torque until about 4300 rpm. So basically the Pfadt are delivering more torque and smoother power from roughly 2200-4300 rpm which is a great range for driving.

Temps were hot today; about 95° in the shop at GTR but even hotter outside. In cooler weather performance should be even better.

Another very nice benefit (besides looks; the Pfadt headers are beautiful) is the improvement in underbody clearance. The Pfadt headers don't stick down as far as the Bassani did which means I'll have a better time going over parking lot speed bumps and steep driveways.

Summary: If you don't have anything at all other than the factory exhaust, get the Pfadt; you won't be disappointed. If you already have name-brand long tube headers, unless you need better ground clearance and don't mind spending the money for the Pfadt, stick with what you've got; the difference isn't that much.

The Pfadt Tri-Y headers are beautifully made, beautiful to look at, fit easily, have great ground clearance and deliver good solid performance.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote