View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #482
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
I have not been behind the wheel of either. You have a ZL1...have you been behind the wheel of a GT500? If so, how did *you* rate each and what made you decide on the ZL1?
Thanks for asking! Yes... I have been behind the wheel of a GT500 (albeit two years ago). Not the new one. But still very similar in interior & overall design. I drove it. I drove it in the rain (the GT500). My first impression was how the windows seemed to jiggle in the door when I closed it. The second impression was the rain making such a loud tapping pinging sound on the roof I couldn't hear the radio very well. The impression left me feeling like it was just too lightweight and there may be some quality compromises. My drive did not leave me "wanting one".... (nor for that matter did a standard Camaro at the time), BUT for a very small time I was considering a GT500 because Camaro did not have a HP version from which to choose. My patience eventually paid off. I know the new GT500 is almost totally different than two years ago... but the long term "quality" of not only the brakes, but the door hinges, window mechanisms, etc was just something I would not take a risk on. I have to wonder how the new tighter suspension will create rattles etc.

The ZL1, in my assessment, would never result in "buyers remorse" three years down the road. All the magazine articles seem to have that same conclusion, so I feel valid in my purchase decision, which was made prior to those articles coming out!

Now, the new GT500 just might have addressed my "nitpicky" complaints. Granted. But.... until the totally new Mustang comes out and the totally new Camaro comes out, the ZL1 is the SATISFYING choice that will outlast my expectations. At that time, I "might" reconsider" the whole thing, but in my lifetime (sorry to be nostalgic), the ZL1 is the BEST all around American made muscle/street factory car to come out in 40 years. Props to the Stang for achieving top honors in HP from the factory though. It does make me want to drive one of them too. For one lap in dry weather.

Edit: Also want to add that my brother had a 2008 6 speed manual Corvette that he drove the P$$ out of (street/strip) and it didn't have a single rattle. I could feel the quality being put into the GM cars. It's tightness and esthetics really impressed me. The design/quality focus on the ZL1 was proclaimed early and my order was in without ever knowing what it would actually drive like. Because I knew GM was doing performance cars "right"...
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote