View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #34
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
I don't know of any shipping company that just puts in writing they will approve lost package claims without investigating. However if you have only handled 5 lost package claims that seems strange anyway. While busy, we are not spending $11 million a year in shipping..yet I seem to deal with 1-2 of these claims a month with UPS. While I strive to provide the best customer service possible (as our reputation here shows), I am also trying to let customers know that there are other things going on here.

I think most of these situations can be avoided with communication. I mean whenever there is an issue as a company I try and start off with "I'm sorry for the issue" and listen to and understand the customer. Explaination and compromise can save a lot of blood pressure raising issues. Al people want to know is you are doing everything to get them what they paid for.
To be really honest I am not a big fan of UPS, but I do use them ocassionally but most of mine goes Fed Ex. Does it cost more? Yes it cost a little more but when you alleviate problems like these then the extr cost is more of a benefit than a cost.

I fully understand the process of lost packages and yes the do happen. My point is that I have a " Memorandum of Understanding " with UPS Fed Ex or whomever to cover incidents like this.

In the event something get lost, misplaced, destroyed or stolen, I will send the customer a replacement immediately upon notification as long as I have the product in stock, if I don't then it is drop shipped. I will fill out a claim with the vendor. IF it is found it will be returned to me at vendors expense. IF lost, stolen, destroyed, abducted by aliens then the value of the product plus the shipping cost will be sent to me.

I along with my vendors understand that things happen and is to be expected periodically when you ship things but we have an understanding that the Customer comes first...... Maybe this part of the reason I do not have many lost or damaged.

Another part is packaging. Most try to use the least amount of packaging because of cost.

Just an example this week. We purchased some new equipment for 32000.00
It arrived this past Tuesday and 2 pieces were destroyed. The value was 11000.00 of the damaged equipment, even though I was not the shipper I called my contact at the trucking company, the next day the sent an inspector out and are going to replace these machines.

I could have been an idiot and asked for lost wages since the equipment is production equipment but we kinda worked together and the siuation was resloved in one day.

I understand that I may have a little more influence because of the money that is spent but it still boils down to one basic, primary goal of customer satisfaction.

I have said many times and I will say it again.

" People understand that there may be problems, it is not the problem that they look at , They look at How It Is Handled"

Obviously this vendor does not care like you do.

Last edited by Dr Jkel; 10-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.