View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I swear...if people obeyed traffic laws LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO, they wouldn't get stopped and issued a citation.

AND....FURTHERMORE, if people were to obey traffic laws (ie: NOT RUNNING RED LIGHTS), traffic accidents would decrease DRAMATICALLY.

The whole purpose behind red light cameras is misconstrued to be a money generator for the city. Everyone thinks "redlight cameras??? Just another way to screw over the common man and take his money." The purpose of red light cameras are to force people to slow down and not ....RUN RED LIGHTS. What is the main purpose? To prevent (or try to deter) traffic accidents. HELLO?!?!?!

YOU don't work the streets and YOU don't see the amount of accidents we work EVERY SINGLE FREAKING DAY (many of which happen because people run red lights!!!)

So keep on believing that red light cameras are ONLY there to hit you in the pocket book....and MAYBE one day someone will see that redlight camera as they are approaching the intersection and go "CRAP!!!!" as they hit the brakes slowing down and stopping as YOU go passing through the intersection avoiding getting T-boned.

Sure....keep complaining about traffic laws. They are there to save your life, the lives of those in the car with you, and the lives of everyone else on the road.

And no...I don't deal with red light cameras in my city. Yes, it's civil and not criminal. Avoid the problems altogether by slowing and stopping.

Front license plate issue......

Fine. Don't put a front license on your new Camaro. When your Camaro is stolen and it's behind me on the parkway while I'm in my patrol vehicle, I'll run that front license plate......wait, there is NO front license plate????.....shoot, well, forget it because I can't get a plate so I can't run it and once again, they get away turning off behind me before I can get the back plate. But it's okay because you didn't want to put that front license plate on there anyway.

RANT OVER.

Sorry bout this rant.....but I see it everyday. I see the accidents and the people who are at fault for them because they fail to (or refuse to) obey traffic laws. I have seen the people who die on our roads because others ran a red light. I have seen the dad and his son who went out to get ice cream and when on the way home, got t-boned by someone who was speeding trying to make the red light. When someone tells me that red light cameras are ONLY put there to generate money, I say BULL SH!T.
So, you are okay with some civillian company, randomly changing the duration of the yellow light to help "poor performing" intersections.

Quote:
Longer yellow lights will do more to reduce crashes at intersections than any other method, including the use of red-light cameras, according to a new report.

report from the Texas Transportation Institute
My problem is that it is a corporation enforcing the law. When they feel that they are not making enough money, they change the rules to increase cash-flow with a complete disregard for public safety.

ATSOL changed the duration of one yellow light in a 45 mph zone to 1.4 seconds because it was not generating enough revenue. The city had to dismiss hundreds of tickets and quietly tried to sweep the matter under the carpet.

1.4 freaking seconds!

The recommended time for yellow is 1 second per 10 mph.

You are okay with that sort of civillian corporate control?

Front plate? I don't like it but I have one now. My Firebird was purchased with no front plate. I got pulled over. It's a $200 ticket. I got mine dismissed by taking off the back plate, sticking it on the front bumper with rolled up masking tape, photographing it, putting it back on the back and taking the picture to court. I had to pay an $11 dismissal fee. Much better than $200.

You can bet that I got a new pair of plates when it was time to renew.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote