View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #21
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z/28 View Post
The 67 68 69 Z/28's all had 302 engines rated at 285 HP which oridgenally were made to compete in the Trans Am series racing which had a restriction on cubic inches . And although the 302 was rated at 285 , don't you believe that for a minute , Chevrolet grossly under rated HP in those day's , all you have to do is look at the componet parts in this engine to see HP had to be way more than rated at , it was a very mighty mouse . that being said the SS's were no slouch's either , they came in 350 396 or 427 cubic inches which Chev. also under rated , So who was top dog in Gen 1 , hard to say they were all awesome cars , but the Z/28 was never the biggest or the most HP , but they were a very Mighty Mouse
The 302 DZ motor in the 1st Gen was also a RPM machine. They were designed to take high RPM and I don't think that they even came alive until around 4k RPM. That's why most have 4.11 gears.

I agree that it's hard to say which was the big boy back then (other than the COPO) and it would depend on what you wanted to do. For the most part the 396/375 was the typical street beast. Although I don't see how they ever got traction from stop light to stop light on those bias ply pizza cutters they called tires. I can't get traction today when I drop the hammer and I have 255s on 17x9 wheels.

BTW: SS came in 350/295; 396/325; 396/375 (no A/C)
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote