View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #39
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why a "no-tune" intake is desireable on a Camaro ZL1? I thought the logic was that if you greatly increased air intake (by adding an aftermarket CAI), then you had to upload a program that increased fuel appropriately across the rev range in order to avoid running too lean and causing detonation. And any CAI which does not require a re-tune would not increase airflow enough to risk running lean would not increase airflow enough to increase horsepower very much. Is the LSA engine immune to this logic? Does the onboard computer sense the increased airflow and automatically compensate for it by adding fuel? If not, it seems to me that knock sensors would cause activation of the "limp home" mode

Good question. First, it really isn't our intention to label this intake as a "No tune" intake and we probably should not have labeled the thread as such. More accurately, it is an intake which doesn't require a tune. This means you can drop it in your car and realize a gain without setting a code or modifying your car's engine management system. This is possible because the car will adjust (to a point) to the additional air flow without any issues. In other words, our system allows for increases in power while staying within the limits of the engine management system. We have a unique intake design and MAF sensor configuration which accurately reports air flow across the RPM range. That sounds simple, but it has been the "hurdle" for most of us with the ZL1! There are several benefits to this system for ZL1 owners-

No modifications required to the car for installation of this intake

No tuning required

Excellent air intake for those who choose power additives and/or tune later

Much more aggressive sound

Great appearance

Although our intake doesn't require a tune, it does have all of the features you want when you decide to introduce more power additives. Our SS systems have been very popular with the S/C crowd due to our large filter size, air box volume, heat isolation and inlet duct size and design. This intake has the same qualities along with an even larger MAF housing ID. You will find another thread in the ZL1 section displaying a 700+ RWHP ZL1 using this exact intake.

For some, an air intake may be their only mod, for others it's simply part of a long list. This is a great intake system for either!

What a great explanation. Ordered mine earlier this week will be here on Monday, cant wait. Thanks for all your hard work in designing this intake. Should be a great choice as a stand alone modification, or a complimentary mod.

Last edited by 69NMYSS; 11-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.