View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Drigar
SYSADM

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS,CGM,A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Yeah, I've been reading up on that...

It appears as long as you play by the rules you can progress pretty rapidly so... I'll pay attention and listen closely to those who have been there before me... I need to try and find a current runner in the competition as a mentor to the ins and outs... rather than showing up blind and clueless....
As you've probably read on their site, it's not a difficult process, but if you intend on going from "never ran" to "200+" it will be a 3 step process. Each step should be easily attainable, your car can certainly do it, there is no doubt there, but their intent was to be sure YOU can do it, without hurting yourself or anyone else. I'd think of it this way, you arrive on Thursday, set up camp, double check the car for tech. Friday morning you go to the drivers meeting, the drive through, then tech, then get in line to make a couple runs between 130 - 140, test runs if you will. Then you apply for the next license (still not sure how that will work), and do your 160 - 180 runs either Friday or Saturday, prolly 2 or three runs in that range. Apply for the next license, and shoot for your 200+ Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

From my experiences so far at The Mile, Friday and Sunday is the days to run. Saturday is pretty much mayhem and you'll spend a lot of time in long lines waiting to run. Friday is pretty busy, but you could get 5 or so runs in with cool downs between runs, Sunday is pretty much wide open running, anytime after 12 you'll be able to hot lap if you want, there are usually less than 30 people in line at any given time after 12pm.

When I ran for the first time last October, I used Friday as a test day for me, getting used to going faster and faster. My first run was only a 126, but after that run I knew what to expect for the next run, the next run was faster, and through Saturday I progressed up in speed with each run, Sunday i made my fastest pass early in the morning, then a slower speed for my final run.

I guess where I'm going with all this is, yes it's exciting, yes it's a great feeling to be able to do something like this. But, for the sake of your safety, take your time and get used to the speeds that you're planning on running gradually, don't try to do it all at once or even in a very short order, the Texas Mile will be around for a very long time, and I'd like for all of you to be around for that long as well. There are a lot of variables that come into play, cross-winds, track conditions, car problems on the track, etc.... I value the friendships and acquaintances I've forged here, lets be safe out there

"Fast is fun, Fast can be deadly"

Last edited by Drigar; 05-15-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Drigar is offline   Reply With Quote