View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Front fascia paint mismatch - opinions needed - thanks

Okay, so we all know of the problem with the mismatching front fascias on certain paint colors. But here's my story and my bitch...

I bought the car in Feb. and garaged it until early Apr. When they first delivered it to my house, there was a large ding in the passenger door and several scratches all over the car. I made them pick it up and take it back to be repaired. They delivered it again to my house... with even more scratches on it. Some were very noticeable on the top of the front fascia. I said screw them and hand buffed the whole car. Car looks great, but couldn't get all the scatches out of the top of the front fascia due to it being plastic/deep, etc.. Then a dumb ass friend of mine drives the car on top of a parking block. I have all kinds of scratches (that I can't even see) on the bottom of the front fascia. I am anal, so it bothers me knowing they're there. I have more money than brains (at this time) so I take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it - $750.

I come to pick up my car and now I notice the whole front fascia is quite noticeably a different color than the rest of the car. I complain that they mismatched the paint. They tell me they only painted the bottom of the front fascia and that's it. However, the scratches I tried to buff out on the top of the front fascia are now.... mysteriously... gone. I argue that they painted it. They said they didn't and proceed to explain that this is a known issue due to plastic being painted at different temps. etc. I tell them I know this already. They continue to insist they did not paint the whole bumper. I tell them I never noticed it before and definitely would have noticed it given how (obviously) picky I am. Although I don't believe them.... maaaaaybe I did miss seeing the color difference as I have only driven it for under 3 months (only 1071 miles as of today - lots of hwy.).

The srvs. manager calls me and jerks me around with the same story. I remind him that I am picky and would have noticed it before as I'm the type of guy who paid them $750 to fix scratches that no one would see. He calls GM and they tell him it's a known issue and they don't care - they aren't paying for it and I have to live with it. I call GM to escalate and complain. Some dumb F'r in India takes my info., story, gives me a claim # and says he will call the dealer and call me back. I am waiting on the call back.

I have read here and elsewhere that GM has agreed in certain cases to pay dealers to repaint the front fascias (when it's factory paint job) IF it is outside of what would otherwise be acceptable.... to them. I have lost faith in my dealership and may not want them to do the paint, even if GM authorizes it. Yeah, yeah, so wtf am I pursuing it... because I can and I might. However.... I am picky.... but maybe I should not be this picky. So I am going to ask my forum brethern to cast their honest opinions and help me decide if I should repaint and/or push this issue.

Here's some pics I have of the mismatch. Pic #2 really shows it to me. The rest of the entire car, including the rear bumper are all the same darker color. I will get some more to show the whole car (which to me is more noticeable). I'll post more later.

What do you guys and gals think....? THANKS for the imput.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 5313
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  002 (2).jpg
Views: 968
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  003 (2).jpg
Views: 806
Size:  158.9 KB
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote