View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I was looking into a gear swap for a while but have decided to wait because of things I've heard on the 4.10 breaking and being a little too low for daily driving use.

I have a LS3 so going from a 3.45 - 3.73 isn't a whole lot and is hard for me to justify the $1200 cost.

Now, with an L99 you'll go from a 3.27 to 3.73 which you'll definately feel that. The 3.73 is supposed to be a solid gear and is what they are putting in the ZL1.

From the research I've done the best gear for the L99 seems to be a 3.73. Alot of that has to do with the gearing in the transmission as well. It's different than the gearing in M6. The 4.10 on an A6 is supposed to be really low. Probably too low for daily driving use.

If I had an A6 I would pull the trigger on the gears.....but that's me and my car is a daily driver as well. Being that I have an M6 I'm going to wait a little while and hope to find a used 3.73 some day.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote