View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
CamaroCorvetteFerrari

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS
Washing, Covering, and waxing questions

Hello All,

This is my first big purchase of a brand new black 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS edition. It is gorgeous and even more beautiful than the Corvette, which was my dream car growing up (along with Ferraris)(hence, the username). I picked it up Tuesday night and the car came in from the factory Monday morning, with 9 miles on the odometer (they had to store it for a day).

I have some questions and I do apologize if I am not following proper etiquette and protocol here. I would kindly appreciate to be steered in the right direction, if I am.

Onto the questions:

Washing
Here on Long Island, there's still rock and sand left over from the winter snowstorms and I have already some dirt on the rear fenders because I did not have mud flaps installed (will get them Saturday). It is supposed to rain all weekend and I am already stressing over the paint!

How often are you supposed to wash the car? I wanted to take it to an automated car wash where the machine washes and dries it; I'm not crazy about the hand wash places using rags to wipe down my black camaro. I'd rather go to a detailing place I heard of New Hyde Park that is supposed to be excellent, but they're more for waxing (more on that later).

When washing, what are the optimal weather conditions and what should the temperature of the water be? I ask because if I were to wash it myself, I don't want the paint to chip. I heard if it is hot outside (think summer) and you use cold water, it could chip the paint. If that is true, then using a hose would be out and I'd need a bucket of hot water.

What kind of cleaning products should one use if home washed?

Waxing
2) How often are you supposed to wax the camaro? What about in summer? I would think every 3 months but that is why I am posing the question. And what kind of wax is recommended? The wax they use at the automated car washes seem shifty to me; so, I'd rather do it myself or goto a professional detailing place.

Car Cover
3) What kind of car cover is recommended? Can you use a generic car over at AutoZone or is it better to use a custom fit one, presumably if it is offered as a dealer option? I bought one today at Autozone and I think I may return it. I practically gave up putting it on. I'd try to get a handle on it, but then part of it would drag on the driveway and I don't want to put anything on the car that has touched the driveway. Maybe there's an easy way to do it, I don't know, or the custom made ones are a lot easier to put on?? Maybe the dealer can help me put it on, I hope.

Lastly, did want to mention that the sales guy at Atlantic Chevrolet (where I bought my camaro) mentioned that GM is coming in next week to do a presentation on a dealer option that would preserve the paint. So, he's gonna get back to me and let me know the details on that.

I'm sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff
CamaroCorvetteFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote