View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #73
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
One of the reasons we test and run our track events at Gingerman is because I consider it to be a very safe track. Safety is a relative terms. I am very sad to report that there was a fatality at Gingerman this evening. I cannot tell you how many times I have run at the test and tune without incident. This is all we know at this time.

SOUTH HAVEN — A 73-year-old man from the Detroit area was killed early Tuesday night in crash at Gingerman Raceway, Michigan State Police in Paw Paw said.

William Christie Rowe, of Milford, was driving a 1990 Ford Mustang when the car hit a barrier, Sgt. Tom Brower said. Rowe was alone in the car and no vehicles were involved in the crash.

Police are awaiting results of an autopsy to determine whether Rowe died from crash injuries or if he had a medical problem while driving, Brower said.

Police were continuing the investigation and no further details on the crash were available late Tuesday night.

Gingerman Raceway is 2.21-mile paved road course located on Phoenix Road just east of South Haven. The track is open to drivers for “Test and Tune” nights on Tuesdays, according to its website.

There have been other fatalities at Gingerman and there will be more in the future. Please take a moment to say a prayer for the driver and those he left behind.

Guys like Pual Tracy, Chris Brannon, Stan Wilson and John Buttermore make going fast around a track look easy. It isn't. They are skilled professionals and even that carries no guarantee for driver safety. The news tonight is a lesson to all of us to always put safety first. Prepare your car before you take it on the track. prepare yourself before you head out to the track Drive within your limits and understand the risks that driving fast, no matter how good your are, no matter how good your car, driving at race track speeds is a matter of life and death.

I love driving fast in a corner. I love going to the track. There isn't anything I don't love about fast cars expect the price that is paid when something goes wrong. We do a life and death inspection of each car before each track event. I can promise you the next life and death inspection will take a bit longer to complete.
Pete, as unfortunate as this incident is, thank you for sharing it with the community, just another reminder of what can happen. Prayers go out to Mr. Rowe and his loved ones left behind....

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote