Thread: SS Shift Point
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
you will never have more power in one gear than the other, your engine just has more leverage over the drivetrain in lower gears.

the rpms=power (as far as the engine is concerned) 6000rpms in first is no more or less hp than 6000 in 5th, there's just a difference in speed

I was only speaking from experience with my ls1. I used to shift at 5500 which is where the red dot dot dot starts and I used to get horrible track times. That was back when I didn't know any better. I learned from all the other guys to shift at 6000 on my car. I started kicking ass after that

Also did you guys ever notice how the 97-04 ls1 vettes always were spec'ed at more power than our F-bodies? I noticed also that the same engine in the vette was spec'ed to something like 345 or 350hp@6000rpms with 350tq@5600rpms or something like that. Well for the fbodies they said 325hp@5500rpms and 325tq@ 4500rpms.

Why would it be different for the same exact engine? ITS NOT! Just something for you new guys to think about.

I also agree that the highest rpm is not always the best, but if the ls2 and ls3 follow after the ls1 then it is...
The bolded statement is not true.

Mathematically speaking, if (when x = current gears ration, y = next gears ratio, R = redline, and T = torque)

than you'll need to short-shift.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote