View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Smile My Statement is Validated by Wards!

In an early post some months back I was verbally castigated because I stated I drove a VW Beetle Turbo Diesel. The OP stated I would hate the car when I had to repair it and it was essentially a POS!

Lets do a recap shall we... my 2004 Turbo Beetle Diesel/5 Speed Manual, now has 145,000 miles. Never been touched. Synthetic engine oil changed religously at 3500 miles. Commuting a minimum of 120 miles per day X4 days week. Stop and go traffic and then the other extreme 65+++ (aka 80) depending on day and time.

The car shifts like a dream, original clutch disk, brake pads (4 disk) replaced at 100K miles with 50% left! I am 1/2 way through my second set of tires at 145K miles with still plenty of tread. And here is the clincher... I have been tracking diesel fuel use and the car CONSISTENTLY gets 47 MPG with the A/C or A/C defroster on. I paid HALF for the Beetle of what I paid for my new Orange Krate. Orange Krate is a special occasions driver and sits pretty in the garage waiting for fair weather and good times. Orange Krate is LUCKY to get 18 MPG.

My point is... the money I spend (or don't spend) on "Kermit" (yes he is Cyber Green) goes towards the goodies for Orange Krate.

Thanks poster for bringing the VW Turbo diesel up on radar and to the head of the class in this report. I really wish they made a Camaro with a TDI engine. You all might be surprised at what a 6.0L TDI would do in a car like this. It would plant you in the seat, haul a$$ and get good fuel range. I know it will never happen, nor should it, but it would be interesting.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote