View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
for me, not a drag person, just drift and track. I could just go for it every time with the stock gears. I would rarely slip. had very consistent launches. with my 4.10's it took me some time to learn the sweet spot. it loved to slip. maybe i am just now learning to launch. i dont know if i could launch a stock car correctly anymore. all i know is that i love my gears, i can launch like a dream. if i want i can spin through third all the way through the fourth gear shift. entering drifts is nothing but holding throttle.
for straight up drag i feel it would be too much gear if i added any more power. I feel i have to ride the lower rpm to keep from spinning, while 3.91's I could put the same power to the ground using higher rpm. that extra shift in the 1/4 mile from 3.91 to 4.11 is a big difference also. The big recommendation i have seen on here all depends on the power level you have. more power the less aggressive gearing you want. I know people that have 4.33's and can launch as if they had twice the power. tires also matter, if you are running drag radials or stickier, you can run a step higher gear ratio. the common on here for the big boys is 3.91 for manuals, and 3.73 for autos. I just cannot explain how much more fun the higher gear ratios are though. it takes the car from a street car to a race car. If you are after that timeslip, not just fun, you need to really understand how you drive, and then talk to someone like ted jannetty. he can tell you what you want, but only after you know what you have.