View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
hharris

Drives: 2013 1LE
WATER BORN PAINT IS NOT WHAT YOU ALL THINK!!!!

the water is just in the base coat. the primers, sealers, CLEAR COATS are all solvent based. it has nothing to do with your rock chips and easy to scratch paint.

Manufactures like (GM) have been spraying water since the 1970's
the only difference is the base coat has to air dry instead of evaporating by the use solvents.
The only way you can stop rock chips is NEVER, and I mean NEVER! drive on a interstate highway, especially on that has concrete walls or deviders.

I happen to own a large high production Collision Center. and I know that we work circles around most dealerships when it comes to quality and customer satisfaction. the only thing different about your dealer body shop and your local independant body shop is the sign above the door. I know because we did the warranty work for two large GM dealers for 19 years, until one built its own shop and the other lost its franchise of 70 years.

They charge the same rates, pay the employees the same wage, use the same paint, same tools, same equipment, same training etc. its all about brand recognition of that "sign above the door" that makes customers decide where to go. most customers think "its a new car so I better take it to the dealer"

now when it comes to mechanical work.... a lot of differences can be found between a dealership and a independent

Oh and for the record, too much clear or too many coats of clear can actually reduce the strenght and adhesion of the entire paint job, every paint job receives two coats of clear, unless you are wanting a car show stopping paint job? in which we will give it 3 or 4 coats of clear.... as 1 or 2 of them will be sanded back off before buffing etc
hharris is offline   Reply With Quote