Thread: Hey GM
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #57
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
There really is no frame on the Camaro. It is BFI or Body Frame Integral construction. So what is frame is basically stamped panels in the underbody. And in this area there is quite a bit of high strength (read ligher weight) steel used on most modern cars.

Chassis is either stamped steel or aluminium castings. The Corvette has the aluminium. Camaro I believe relys on stamped steel. You could convert those to chromoly tubes which might reduce weight, but I think I'd just jump to aluminium.

But you could use Chromoly tube for upper and lower control arms.
I'm more for chromoly because of it's strength with being lower weight then regular steel. my 4th gen I installed boxed subframe connectors made out of the stuff, pan hard rod, and torque arm. I had a chromoly K-member sitting in the garage when I blew the engine. I'm a believer in strength. . .lol. one reason I wouldn't go with an aluminum drive shaft when moding.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote