View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I am not a professional in carbon fiber, but I have a Seibon trunk and I can tell you it does not have that anywhere. It is the same uniform and clean weave throughout it. I am not sure if this would affect the durability or stability of the hood, but it definetly hurts the aesthetics if you are a perfectionist like myself. It seems like a defect maybe? I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else who knows more could chime in!

Post #3

It's strength can be affected by waves, but the slight "Un-uniformity" shown doesn't approach that in this application, in my opinion, becasue I don't think this part needs to be all that strong in the first place: it's potentially still stronger than it needs to be. In some applications, that wave would affect required strength. This doesn't appear to be a critical primary structure though. Seems very cosmetic.

"Defect" would depend on the specs for the part. Certainly, it is not something I'd want my name on, out of pride in workmanship, and 'defect' to the shop can be very different from 'defect' to a customer.

edit- on second thought, maybe not unitape. Starting to look more like prepreg to me, in the inside radii. I'd like to see one of those cut in half to see if it's a 'sheet' of prepreg over a former.