Thread: Nitrous info
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #43
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Great article, thanks, Spike.

I've just started reading about nitrous and meth injection. I understand both increase oxygen intake and cool things down to increase performance.

Can someone explain in noob terms what the differences are between meth and nitrous? I mean, I'm trying to figure out if one of these is better for my application and goals. Is mitrous better for TT cars, whereas meth is better for SC cars?

I've done some searching and I find articles on each set up, but I'd like to find something that compares them.
Meth and nitrous are two totally different animals.

Nitrous is an oxidizer that combined with fuel is a power adder. It cools the intake charge because it is cold when it comes out. You can make a lot of hp with it. I have a buddy who squeezes a 500 shot all the time and can go higher than that.

Methanol is a fuel that supplements more power. It is usually combined with water and together their rate of evaporation and latency help cool the intake charge. Also, methanol is like 120 octane. With the higher octane and cooler intake charge temperature you can add more timing and/or boost to make more power. Typically you can see up to 50 hp on a forced induction setup.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote