View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #49
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
CAFE. The EcoBoost is what Ford is using to pull up their average fuel economy. They are stuffing it into everything with 4 wheels.
Oh, that's right...the power of a V-8 with the efficiency of a V-7.9, for the cost of a V-10. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Where do you come up with this stuff? I agree the SSR was not a success, and rightly so, IMO, but the Lightning was a huge win for Ford. They are still highly sought after trucks. Unlike the SSR, they were still trucks and had a payload capacity, towing package (I used to pull my car trailer to the track with one) and considerable aftermarket support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
How was the Lightning not a success? It was a low volume SVT vehicle from the start and they sold everyone they could make. They were quick and handled well, were fun to drive, and could haul what you need in the bed and tow 6000 pounds.
I can count on one hand how many Lightnings I've seen on the road in the last 10 years. So either everyone who bought one either scrapped them already, or don't care to ever drive them.

They may have been quick in a straight line, but they were heavy, inefficient, handled nothing like sports car, and didn't have near the capability of a regular truck. They were in all categories a compromise...a quintessential example of trying to do all things at the same time, and ending up doing no single thing particularly well.

I restate my earlier argument. Trucks do not make good sports cars. Ford had the right idea with the SVT Raptor. If you are going to make a high performance truck, make it excel specifically at doing truck things, not mediocre at doing sports car things.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote