View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Firerader

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary/Hennessey
Chevrolet Customer Support Of Individualism

Sites like Camaro5 clearly show the following for the current edition of the Chevrolet Camaro. In it's 5th version fans old and new and I don't mean age, display a passion for this iconic car that is rivaled by few. As a hot rod lover from a very young age I recall mentors of mine talking about the status symbol 1969 Camaro SS. Now that I'm old enough to own a Camaro SS I understand what the "old timers" always talked about.

With that said I want to ask this group why Chevrolet doesn't go the extra mile in support of these loyal and dare I say religious fans? My issue is with computer controlled cars and Chevrolet's inability or unwillingness to provide customers with programing modifications specific to individual cars. I am a proud owner of a 2010 Camaro and like most I want to make the car mine. I want to make changes to the car that in some way set it apart from the others be that body mods or drive train mods.

Here is my complaint. My car happens to be an automatic car with the L99 engine not the LS3, which is a whole other rant. I do NOT like the rear end gears that came with my car and I loose sleep thinking of the day I get them changed, which is very soon with 3:91's in the mail. If I want to make this change in a 1969 Camaro it would cost me about $10.00 for the new speedo gear and a little garage time. In the current car it will cost me some sort of after market program to make the cars computer correction.

With Chevrolet building off the shelf Hot Rods like the Corvette and Camaro in so many different versions like the Z06, 1LE, ZL1 and the Copo I just don't understand why I can't go to my local dealer and simply get my stock ECM flashed for a rear end gear change or a fuel system mod or even a cam shaft. I, as would I think most, even be OK with signing a waiver of liability for the attorneys or giving up a piece of my warranty for this service. I hate even loathe the fact that in order to make such a change to MY car the only way I can support that change is with an after market ECM program.

Chevrolet, I'm asking you to step up to the plate. If you're going to be in the hot rod business then be All In! Support your loyal customers and support us in making these types of modifications. Provide or allow your technicians with the ability to modify our cars & trucks ECM's for specific modifications such as gear changes. This isn't something you have to promote or advertise just don't make it taboo or illegal. This gear change will set my car apart and if I should ever want to sell this car I hate the fact that I will have to sell the new owner on an after market computer as well because Chevrolet is unwilling to support individualism.

Respectfully,

Michael W. Rader, Customer