View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerader View Post
Ok, thanks to all who responded. Now let me break down a couple key points I think many missed. If I owned a 1969 Camaro and wanted to make a rear end gear change not only could I get those gears from my dealer but the small mechanical gear to correct the speedo as well. The local dealer offered everything from cams and headers to full motor mods. Now not so much. Finally a key point in my post was if my local GM garage would support my use of GM performance parts like my gears I would agree to void my rear end warranty.
As far as nothing in it for GM I would say companies like Diablo, Hypertech, HP and so found something in it. GM marketing shouldn't be as near sighted as some of these posts.
Thanks all,

1969 vs. 2012.

in 1969 there were no computers in cars, no CAFE standards, and those that tuned and modded vehicles were professional mechanics with some sense of WTH they were doing.

in 1969 GM was in the heart of the horse power wars and in business to win over the American monster motor mentality.

in 2012 the Gov't has created CAFE standards, most vehicle are nothing more than rolling computers, and hand held tune devices can be loaded to a cars computer by any idiot with $500 to spend on one.

in 2012 GM's focus is to appease the MPG standards and build/sell vehicles to appease the world new focus on being "green" and economical.

The only group that still cares about monster horsepower and modding vehicles is a very small insignificant cliche of guys like us, and we don't generate enough revenue stream to make it worth while.

---

it's just not in the game plan for GM or for Chrysler so much any more, Mopar is slowing becoming a pimp your ride ghetto style company, most of their "aftermarket" division is appearance not performance.