View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
DO NOT turn off all the traction control nannies unless you are prepared for "what happens next!" Particularily for spirited driving on city streets - your car will do crazy things.

Scan the road ahead for possible threats. I like to play a game where I casually point a finger at the current "greatest threat" or potential accident waiting to happen (no not THAT finger). Most of us do it instinctively, we anticipate what might pop out from behind a blind corner or parked car, we expect that car in the turn lane facing you to suddenly pull in front of us, basically ask "what if" questions while driving. My goal is not to contact anything with my car

Notice any changes with your vehicle. I feel as if I can sense even the smallest changes in handling characteristics (brakes and suspension) and notice unusual smells or sounds from my vehicles. I know if all systems "are go" or not.

Adjust your mirrors right.

I try to stay ahead of other drivers - constantly moving ahead, rather than staying buried in the middle of a pack.

I memorize traffic patterns on routes I drive routinely and I know the most efficient roads to take and speeds to travel to avoid needless delays. Example: if two lanes are allowed to turn left, I don't get in line behind 9 other cars waiting in the left lane, I'll advance to the pole postion of the other lane no one else seems to know about!

Don't hang out in the fast lane on the highway/interstate, it's a good way to get picked off if you're exceeding the speed limit.

Turn on your headlights when it's raining.

When driving on snow and ice, keep your steering wheel locked straight and don't attempt to do more than one driving maneuver at a time.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote