View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Safe Following Distance: I do my very best to either follow the "1 car-length for every 10 mph" or 3-second rule.

Unfortunately, this creates a gap between you and the vehicle in front of you which gives some smart-Alec the opportunity to shoot into. This creates the exact same problem one has been attempting to avoid in the first place.

You can't win if there are idiots on the road. Driving defensively is the only way to reasonably try to keep ones' self safe.
This is so true. And I believe it's actually a two-second rule these day, what with better brakes/steering/etc.

A few other defensive safety tips for those highway/interstate commutes:

1. Do not fix your eyes on any particular vehicle. Best practice for typical interstate traffic is to continuously scan ahead and behind. Know what is going on several cars (or trucks) ahead and behind you.

2. Don't forget what's behind you. Glance in your rearview and side mirrors at least every few seconds. It's just as important to know what the idiots behind you are doing.

3. Don't be the asshole everyone complains about. Drive courteously and with respect for other drivers. You are in control of a 2-ton projectile, capable of killing or maiming dozens of people through one stupid move.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote