View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
There is nothing wrong with using a properly installed radial tire plug for street use. A radial tire plug kit, a can of seal-n-air, and vice-grips is a good spare kit for those without spares.

However, the puncture must be in the steel belt area, never the shoulders or sidewall. Those require replacement. No other choice is safe.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you are going to datalog WOT on the street, do not fiddle with the computer while driving. Your best location is a long uphill grade. You will collect more data per distance, and your stopping distance is extremely short. Never do testing on downhill grades.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never stop on the freeway or highway emergency lane or shoulder unless absolutely no other option is possible. Pull off as far as you can if you must stop, even if it hurts your car. Lots of people get killed or maimed by being parked legally in the emergency lane. In front of our house, a girl got her legs cut off because she pulled off the highway onto the shoulder. It was rough waiting for the paramedics since we were rural. She asked me if she was going to die. What do you say? I told her she was going to make it. But I had no idea if that was true. I stopped most the bleeding I could see, but I knew she didn't have a lot time to get to a hospital.

Off-Topic - The California Highway Patrol were the first emergency responders. He would NOT help me stop the bleeding. He did NOT cite the driver who hit her, even though she and her car were not in the lane.

That was the day I grew up. I'm now aware that public employees consider their employment status more important than a young woman's life. They are nothing but DMV clerks with a gun. This was a 180° shift in my life. I no longer expect assistance or appropriate behavior from any government employee.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote