View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
MaukaRunner

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS in Silver Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ten View Post
Hey guys, I have a 68 327 powerglide camaro. I want to drop in either a 2004r 4 speed auto or Muncie 4 speed (thinking a M20). My glide works just fine but I would like more get up and go through the gears. The 2004r seems like a easy install I would need a tranny, converter, shift detent and kit, lock-up kit and move my cross-member a 1/4" seems like I could do it for around $1000.

What do I need for a M20 conversion? how much could I piece it all for? Tranny, bellhousing, pressure plate, clutch, shifter, and pedal kit???. for this swap does my driveshaft need lenghthened/shortened? will my glide X-member work? and how much would this swap cost? I can do the work myself Im just not familiar with this swaps required parts, I know a mllion ppl have done this and I have tried searching the swap on the old interweb but I couldnt find anything good. if you have done this can you please help me out with detailed info on a parts list and walk through... or if anyone has a link for this swap that would be great! A shop said the whole hard parts list would sell for 3K Im thinking it can be done cheaper..maybe im wrong.

Which swap would be overall better? I dont use my car for racing but I would like some more get up and go from my drivetrain. I would prefer a manual but I cant afford to drop 3K to do it...My 327 has a cam, intake manifold, holly 650, dual flowmaster H pipe, posi,

Thanks for the help!
Don't forget the bellcrank, pivot ball and bracket for the frame unless you are going with a hydraulic throwout bearing. I converted my '80 Z from auto to stick and it was pretty easy since the frame already had the holes for the bellcrank bracket. The stock bolts are notched so it's self tapping. Not sure if the notched bolts are still available but if not just tap them out. Also, check to make sure your block is tapped for the pivot ball.

Like the others, I agree a 5 speed would be a better swap. I ran a 2.20 M21 with 4.56 gears and on the freeway I was revving over 2500 RPM just keeping it at the speed limit. With a lower first gear and a overdrive 5th I could have ran 3.73 or 3.42 rear gearing and would have had better performance and economy.
MaukaRunner is offline   Reply With Quote