View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Biggest mod is....the NUT behind the wheel! Seat Time...Seat Time...Seat Time!! I know a lot of people don't believe it but if you consistently show up at Autocross events and leave your car just the way it is you WILL improve if you are actually trying to learn and improve your driving.

I look at it like this. If I gave my car to another really experience Autocrosser that was experienced with the 5th Gen and they were able to post times that were 3, 4, or 5 seconds faster than I can, then I have not learned how to use the car to it's fullest potential in it's current state. So why spend money on parts when what I really need to do is spend more money on track time and autocross time to get better myself.

I've been autocrossing for about 3 years now in my 1LE. There is a local guy that drives a 2013 Challenger SRT8 and he is a very good driver in that car. He was always 2 to 3 seconds faster than me. And he was on stock OEM tires, did not play around with air pressure settings or any of that. He just showed up each time, ran the car, drove it home. That's it. No special alignment or anything. So according to all the reviews I should be able to be faster than him base on the car capabilities and especially the weight advantage (one of the few times a 5th gen has a weight advantage!). So I just kept telling myself that until I can consistently put faster times than him down I know I'm not reaching the full potential of the car and I need to improve myself first before buying parts. The last autocross now I finally was able to put faster times down. I was about .6 seconds faster than the Challenger. This was only one event and one course layout. So if by the end of the season I am consistently putting faster times than him down I'll know I've actually improved my skills.

Just trying to help you focus on what will really help you the most if you are just starting out. And once you do improve your skills it's a lot more rewarding showing up in your stock Camaro and beating people that show up with cars that have $1000's in mods and they run slower times than you do. It's especially fun when they come up to you and ask you what mods you have done to run faster times and you say "None". And then they walk away asking how they could not run faster times than you when they have all these mods and you are stock. Answer...the NUT behind the wheel!

And I'm not saying that I think I'm a great driver. I'll be the first to admit that I still have a lot of learning to do. But it's nice to know I am improving with more seat time.