View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #122
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I wish I'm waiting and hoping to get Z28 If not, I'll have to try to put together my vision of Z28

While I'm not calling you out on your tuned 6L80 shifting faster than the GTR, it's my understanding the tranny in that car is a clutchless manual; I don't know that an auto' can shift faster than these trannies. I don't honestly know though...

As far as higher efficiency, it is kinda' relative. The SS3800 I had on my '02 was more efficient than the OEM converter; I gained about 2 MPH with only the converter change - and a lot on ET. A lot has to do with the stator and orientation of the fins/veins. Typically - a lot of the time, the higher stall speed you go, you can "loose" HP, but you can gain ET by keeping the engine in it's powerband more throughout the pass. You can aritificially lock the converter and get HP "back", but just because the dyno' shows a drop in HP doesn't mean the car won't go faster, by virtue of the other influences a high quality converter will add. For example: My car showed a nearly 50 RWHP drop when unlocking the converter. I still improved my MPH through the traps, so I really didn't loose any power. Another way to effectively gain HP is by going with a smaller/lighter converter. The OEM converter on my '02 was about 50 lbs. The Yank was just under 30 lbs.; it takes less HP to turn less weight, so I effectively got more HP. STR and shift extension can also influence performance at the track or on the street, too, and with good tuning, there is absolutely no reason a stalled A6 won't be able to at least keep up with the best M6 driver. I would almost guarantee one would be able to get a better 60' time than that M6 driver.
Great post! This info really tied together a lot of concepts that I've been learning and coming to understand lately.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote