View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #125
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Thanks I'm hoping the concepts of what I was trying to say came across. I can go into many things a fair amount more, however, much the theory of what I've learned has come Yank's website, and I'm not sure it still has that stuff posted. I can tell you that my car, and my brother's car proved the theories of efficiency, STR, and shift extension quite well, IMO. Ultimately, his car was a touch faster because my car's tuning wasn't quite done, but even if I were able to finally get a good pass from it after the tuning was completed, I don't think it would've quite matched his car. He ran a 12.4 on a lid, catback, MT DRs, 3.73s, and a crapped canned tune. My car pulled a 12.5, hitting the limiter a few times on the 2-3 shift, running the same mods', with only a unfinished tranny tune, and OEM 3.23s. I think his car might have had a 12.2-.3 in it in the fall when it was nice, dry, and cold around here, because that 12.4 was in the summer in 90* temps. Mine was in the summer, too, but I'll never know what she would've run

I don't know if the Gen 5s are going to benefit, as much, from the converters, as the 4-speed tranny guys. My guess is the gear spacing is the biggest factor, and the spread on the 4-speed trannies was really long, especially on the 1-2. I know it's a little long on the 6L80s, but I don't really think it's as great as the 4L60s. The overall ratios are shorter on the 6L's, too, to my understanding, so, again, I just don't know if the gains are going to be quite as much. Also, it seems like many of the trannies I've watched in videos converters are locking up during the run. I know ours didn't lock - we were always running unlocked, which made me that much more of a believer in the converter's efficiency.
I've gained .5 with a 3500 stall unlocked. I still see too low of an RPM after shift completion so the next converter will be a looser 4000 stall. My goal is to see no more than a 1000 RPM drop after the shift. My tuning strategy with a custom converter will have the 4K converter feeling more like a 2500K for part throttle driving. Currently my 3500K feels really nice with the tune I'm running. The converter is built with special friction material designed for continuous slip (just like stock) so I apply it with a min psi value at 10MPH while managing the slip with desired slip tables. I don't fully lock it until 35MPH which makes for great drivability and pretty darn good fuel economy for my stall.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote