View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
Disturbed1LE
COTW 12/2/13

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Since it is getting somewhat colder here in North Texas, at least here and there and then back in to the 60s and 70s, I decided it was time to prep my 1LE winter shoes.

I knew when I bought the car, this would have to be done so I looked at several options and finally came up with this:
1) I do not want to constantly sway tires on my 1LE rims. I figure this can't be good to begin with and I really don't trust anyone with my car quite yet.
2) If I am not going to swap the tires only, I need a second set of wheels and tires. I did not have the funds this year to get a second set of 1LE wheels and then put tires on them, so I decided to keep my options open and see what happened.

I had a friend in my club, Lone Star Camaro, put up a set of SS wheels with P-Zeros. He had taken very good care of them and even though they had about 15K miles on them, they should have enough tread to get me through the winter and then some. Plus this got me the set of wheels I needed regardless.

Name:  winter_wheels-104.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  432.6 KB

I knew I would have to powder coat them black to match my color scheme, but I ran out of time. It's amazing how life does this, right? I decided to plastidip for now.
I got the cars out of the garage and covered them for overspray, then laid out the wheels to clean.

Name:  winter_wheels-101.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  405.9 KB

And got to work…

Name:  winter_wheels-102.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  492.3 KB

Name:  winter_wheels-103.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  454.4 KB

Name:  winter_wheels-105.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  433.7 KB

Next, I taped off the tire for overspray and started on the insides of the wheels.

Name:  winter_wheels-106.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  408.0 KB

I put on four coats, then flipped them over. I used blocks under the tires to keep the finish from smearing while they dried and I worked on the outsides of the wheels.

The result:

Name:  winter_wheels-107.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  441.5 KB

Side by side look for summer/winter

Name:  winter_wheels-116.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  462.7 KB
Disturbed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote