View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #33
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Thnaks, for response.
Obvioulsy, 3.73's would be the next ratio from stock, but more specifically why 3.73's instead of 4.10's or the 4.35's?
With that much power, doesn't it make sense to better utilize the RPM's with a larger gear kit vs a smaller gear set.
Additionally, I would be getting them properly dialed in by my tuner, so obvioulsy would be sycronizing speed, tq, rpm's to the new gears. Tires would stay the same for now.
Are the 3.73's stronger than the bigger gears, is that really the deciding factor? I'm reading alot about peeps breaking up their 4.10's with high tq / hp vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advfire View Post
my question is similiar,

right now i'm pushing over 625RWTQ, i am changing the axels to 1000+ and i was going to upgrade to the 4.33 for a better start. my 60' is right at 1.9 and with the 4.33 i was hoping to get 1.4 or so,

why would i want to go to the 3.73 would that not decrease my RWTQ

You guys are in a similar boat. Keep in mind that when I make recommendations here on the forums it is without knowing what your particular setup is (unless you fill me in or are a regular customer) so I have to make a lot of assumptions and play it safe. Generally people drive these cars daily and have focused on building power and don't have the appropriate suspension and supporting mods. For a more hardcore application with the appropriate supporting mods you can go with a more aggressive gear than 3.73 but there are a lot of things to consider. Is one gear set going to cause you to have to make an extra gear change or even shift into over drive where another won't? Do you have the appropriate supporting mods? Can you afford the down time and expense if the more aggressive gears do grenade? These are all questions I can not answer for you.

advfire, 3.73s will not cause you to lose torque. They are more aggressive than stock so you will see an improvement.