View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #77
SS_Coop

Drives: '10 Camaro ABM SS/RS, '06 Tahoe 4X4
I agree completely, the Corvette and the CTS-V both appeal to a different market and the Z/28 being the top model for the Camaro it should have more power to compete with the GT500. Not to mention that the Camaro is what is helping GM get back to where it belongs in the automobile market; they need to ride this wave as long as they can.

What it really comes down to is that for those that have a CTS-V and a Corvette they'll be upset if their cars aren't the top dogs any more. But I'll say this, the Z06 and ZR1 are both upgrades from the base model Corvette and they have much more hp, grant it the z06 only has 505 hp only 65 hp more than the base Corvette. It won't be long before the CTS-V is upgraded if they don't up the hp with the Z/28. I could also see Chevy increasing the hp in the Z06 as well.

It’s just ridiculous to think that GM will hold back just so they don’t make the CTS-V look bad in the hp department. I’m going to say that it’ll be upwards around 580 hp to 600 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I think the hp will be in the 575-585 hp range advertised but with a little more for good measure where it counts. The 2012 Z/28 will have a little more tweaking than the CTS-V has to safely one-up the GT500 and also counter what ford will do after the Z is released. The 5th Gen. will be replaced sometime in the 2014 model run along with the mustang so it's safe to say that the 2013 model year will see some up tick in hp to keep interest in the current model and also to marshall out the Gen. IV LS engines.

The C7 Corvette should make landfall in the 2013 model year to debut the new next Gen. engines and to clearly have it's own coming out party without having to share debuts with the 6th Gen. Camaro and keep Corvette's position as the platform that debuts new technology for GM.

I seriously doubt that GM will debut the new next Gen. engines in the current platforms but I think that Z/28 will have similar performance to the HP550 Camaro and the Calloway 585 Camaro packages. Gear ratios and tuning will be a big factor also. The Z will be faster than the base corvette but that's expected against the top Camaro model, GM will not have problem with it. Sports car verses muscle car, two different target customers.
SS_Coop is offline   Reply With Quote