View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
18 and 20 inch Drag Radials Pros and Cons

Okay, I am tired of the inconsistency of street tires at the strip and getting close to pulling the trigger on DOT drag radials. I need help from those of you that have experience with 18 and 20 inch wheel set ups.

Presently, I have an M6 with Solo high flow cats, Haltech CAI w/ADM scoop, Pedders street 1 bushings and chromoly trailing arms. Future mods will be gears in the short term with headers and cam a year or two from now.

I like the sleeper look and think 20 inch drag radials on widened stock wheels would be cool. But I have heard the 20 inch radials can lead to parts breakage and may not hook all that well. Are 20 inch drag radials a waste of money that won't get me consistent 60 foot times?

Getting a Weld or Bogart 18 inch DOT drag radial set up would allow me to change the look of the car from time to time. It seems that this is what I will ultimately need when I get gears, cam and headers. Its definitely a more expensive route, but if I can get good consistent 60 foot times with less strain on the drivetrain, I will probably go this route.

Sacramento Raceway generally has great air with poor traction. I only go a few times per year due to the track being 2 1/2 hour drive away, so perfecting my launch technique has been tough. With so few times at the track, I don't want to go home frustrated anymore. My car is a daily driver, the set up I go with would be used to drive to and from the track only. Help me make the right choice.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote