View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
Seek Advice: Mike Norris Catch Can on 2013 L99

I have spent several hours combing the web and this site looking for tips on installing the Mike Norris Catch Can on the 2013 L99 engine.

First, at least on the 2013 L99, the PCV system uses super cheap soda straw thin tubing, and cryptic connector clips to attach to their connection points.

Second, with only 16 inches of tube in the kit, I cannot see a way to connect the catch can.

And third, The easiest way to mount the kit means I would have to mount the catch can diagonally, and I am not sure if that is a good idea. So I would like to get some experienced suggestions before I order up new hardware to do the job properly.

Here are pics I took this morning when I was preparing to do the install:

The 2013 L99 has the PCV valve at the rear drivers side of the engine compartment. The tubing used all over this engine is very cheap black thin-wall plastic, about as thick at soda bottle plastic.

Here is where the PCV valve is on the drivers side of the engine, next to the firewall. I assume it is part of this plastic connection. I was expecting to find a metal check valve with a rubber hose attached.

Here is the other end of the tube. Again I was expecting to find a metal barb to slip rubber hose over, but instead find this flimsy plastic fitting that I cannot figure out how to remove without breaking it. I assume it is a clip on fitting, but I cannot find a clip to bend back, and if I pull it WILL break:

Once I have a solution to the hose mounting connections at the throttle body and valve cover, I can only see this location as being a place to mount the catch can where I would be able to re-install the engine cover, and sensibly route the hoses. I realize it will have reduced reservoir capacity mounted diagonally, but I suspect it should still function OK:

This is the bolt I found where I might be able to mount the catch can bracket on an L99.

Has anyone installed a Mike Norris catch can on a 2013 L99 yet, and if so, did you do it like this?

What trick was used to remove the plastic fittings from the PCV line ends without breaking them? Or do those get replaced with metal fittings.

I'll admit I'm 30 years out of the hobby, but now that I'm an empty nest-er I have the time and money to play with my car. I bought it strictly as a toy, so if I break it, it won't hurt me to let it sit till I can fix it. But I really would like to do a little research and do things right the first time.

Thanks for your help,
Robert
rray is offline   Reply With Quote