View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Here is my take on the this. Elevated oil temps it not something you want if your going to continue to do this on a regular basis. Yeah, synthetics can take 300 but that doesnt mean you should run it that high. 220 is perfect oil temp. yes there are cooler options but not as a kit. Check out improvedracing.com and search for oil cooler setups on this site for examples. Piecing together a cooler setup will run you about $5-700.

For brakes you fluid was probably picking up some moisture over the winter and reduced its boiling point. Change it before track days and it will help a little. It seem to me that you're agessive with braking if your boiling quality dot 4, the track layout can also contribute to this... short periods between your braking points will not give them time too cool. Brake cooling ducts would be a good investment in this case. Steel brake lines will help with pedal feel and safety but not with prevention of fluid boil. There is also titanium shims that you can put behind your pads that help reduce heat transfer.
Shims seem like a decent and cheap option if I still have boiling issues using fresh fluid next track day. For the cost of the oil cooler, I'd rather just change the oil more frequently since I'm not going to track the car more than 3-4 times per year. I'm sure my newbie driving technique is contributing to heat issues as well.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote