Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
coryrulez9

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue Ray
Replacing stock spears only

Hello,

I just got a 14 2LS last week and find the stock speakers annoying. Was thinking of replacing the speakers only and leaving the stock radio for the time being. Thinking of this set up:

Kenwood KFC-P709PS Fronts

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693 Rears

I had the same rears in my Cobalt with stock radio and similar non component fronts and really enjoyed the upgrade with stock radio.

Any other users install similar speakers with stock radio and enjoying them without the upgrade HU? Seeing as I just bought the car, can't afford a new HU yet but figure those are good enough for when I do.
coryrulez9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
BA or non BA?

The biggest problem with the factory units is they are underpowered. You can add an amp to the factory system/speakers and get a noticeable improvement.

Aftermarket speakers typically need more power to drive them properly. So simply swapping speakers usually doesn't result in quality difference that you are expecting.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
a nightmare ...atleast 2-3 hours

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
What are you talking about? The door panels take a whole 3 minutes to come off and 2-3 minutes to put the speaker in. Maybe you didn't know how to do it correctly lol, it's one of the easiest cars ever, 1 torx screw, 3 screws around the door and 1 under the door handle, and everything else just pops right up, don't know why you think it's a nightmare.

I just upgraded all my speakers to some nice lower powerish speakers and they sound awesome, very very loud :] Ears even ring sometimes when I get out and that says alot because my last truck I had 2 15" woofers in there tuned to 20 hz ;] I didn't add an amp and I didn't have BA.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
coryrulez9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
BA or non BA?

The biggest problem with the factory units is they are underpowered. You can add an amp to the factory system/speakers and get a noticeable improvement.

Aftermarket speakers typically need more power to drive them properly. So simply swapping speakers usually doesn't result in quality difference that you are expecting.
NON BA as its a 2LS. These stock speakers sound worse than the Cobalt's did to me.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
coryrulez9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
I assume the rears will be similar to the Cobalt's and I did those myself. The forums said I would have to take out the back seat but was able to manage without doing so. Hopefully can get away with The camaro not taking out the back seat.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
coryrulez9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
BA or non BA?

Side note. How would you add an amp to the stock non BA system?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
You would need to use a LOC (Line Output Converter).

speaker output > LOC > AMP > speakers
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
What are you talking about? The door panels take a whole 3 minutes to come off and 2-3 minutes to put the speaker in. Maybe you didn't know how to do it correctly lol, it's one of the easiest cars ever, 1 torx screw, 3 screws around the door and 1 under the door handle, and everything else just pops right up, don't know why you think it's a nightmare.

I just upgraded all my speakers to some nice lower powerish speakers and they sound awesome, very very loud :] Ears even ring sometimes when I get out and that says alot because my last truck I had 2 15" woofers in there tuned to 20 hz ;] I didn't add an amp and I didn't have BA.
Agreed on the door speakers, but I think he is referring to the rear speakers

Those are a PITA to get to