Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
New Noise... need help to identify

Hey all, I've recently started noticing a new noise when driving and I'm not sure how concerned I should be. I thought maybe some advice from the gear heads here could help me out. First, the basics:

2010 2SS L99 ~22k miles. Only mods are CAI and scoop so far.

The noise I'm hearing sounds much like brake squeal, but at a higher pitch and lower volume. I usually hear it a few seconds after releasing the throttle from cruising at medium speed (40-60) and it will continue until I tap the gas or brake.

I have been unable to reproduce it at lower speeds. From the troubleshooting I've done so far I can't say for sure if it's related to AFM kicking in. It doesn't seem to occur if I hammer it to get up to speed and then release the throttle. Only after I've been cruising and prepare to hit the brake. That's how I first noticed it. I would start hearing brake squeal right before I touched the brake pedal. It's a fairly faint, but audible to me. If I take it into a shop with nothing more to go on than that I'm afraid the mechanic will just miss it.

I'm just a wannabe car guy learning what I can as I go. Do the experts have any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
MattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Did you try running in Manual 5 mode and see if it reoccurs? I know the Chevy trucks of that vintage equipped with AFM will not go into AFM in M5. If the Camaros are the same ,you could give it a try and see if it is AFM related.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Could be a vacuum leak. Check out all the clamps and fittings on your CAI system.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Could be a vacuum leak. Check out all the clamps and fittings on your CAI system.
Sounds a lot like what my car does. Ever since I put in the K&N CAI I get a high pitched whistling sound when I give the car gas. I posted about this a few months ago and was told this was normal with CAIs and I would have to get used to it while others said their CAIs didn't do that and that there was likely an air leak.