Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
DMC-81

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
2010-11 Brembo Brake Redesign (with counterweights)

Hello,

I'm changing brake pads on my 2010 Camaro SS with Brembo brakes for the first time since it was new. I have a couple questions for the gurus / historians out there:

Although I couldn't find anything specific, I think I have pieced together that the front pads were redesigned to add counterweights. My original ones had none, and the new ceramic pads have them. I initially thought I bought the wrong ones, but after triple checking part numbers and reviewing videos of 2011 and 2012 brake pad replacements, I see pads with round counterweights at the top of the pad. Also, by entering my VIN on several GM part sites, these pads with the counterweights are correct for the car, and I don't see a listing for the old ones without the weights. Attached are old pads and new.

Question 1: Was there a change? If so, when did it happen?

Question 2: Was there a TSB and what are these tire weights on my caliper? (Is this related to the potential problem that prompted the move to counterweights?
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS (Transformers Edition)
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
1981 DeLorean DMC-12
DMC-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #2
DMC-81

OK, I eventually found the answer:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139523

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127536

Attached is the TSB.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brembo.pdf (418.7 KB, 54 views)

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
1981 DeLorean DMC-12
Old 02-26-2023, 06:17 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The counterweighted brake pads in your photos don't look like the OEM pads. Where did they come from? The OEM "roller-skates" were smaller and were round.

The purpose of the OEM counterweights was to lower the resonant frequency and reduce squeezing. But depending on pad material, they may or may not be needed. Also, while the "general public" might not want squealing brakes, it's really not a problem.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
DMC-81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The counterweighted brake pads in your photos don't look like the OEM pads. Where did they come from? The OEM "roller-skates" were smaller and were round.

The purpose of the OEM counterweights was to lower the resonant frequency and reduce squeezing. But depending on pad material, they may or may not be needed. Also, while the "general public" might not want squealing brakes, it's really not a problem.
Correct. I saw the OEM revised brake pads with the round counterweights. These are Akebono Performance Ultra-Premium Ceramic pads. I absolutely despised how black and dirty the stock semi-metallic pads made the wheels after 1 day of cleaning the wheels, so I vowed to change them at the first brake pad change.

Once I determined that the counterweights were a revised design, I figured that these flatter weights are a further improved design. They are definitely lower profile and provide more clearance to the rim.
After a few months of getting the car in 2011, I really haven't had a squealing issue except the rear brakes when backing up.

I'm doing Tires, TPMS sensors, pads, rotors turned and refreshed, and brake fluid flush. The Brembo rotors had plenty of thickness to have them turned a hair.

One side done, now the other:
Attached Images

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
1981 DeLorean DMC-12