Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
perfxn

Drives: 2SS RS
Skid pad numbers, we are 2nd to last. why?

The numbers are lower than most thought they would be. but for all the cars, not just the camaro. my question is with the IRS and all are new high teech suspension why aare we 3rd? is it just the weight? did the added weight alot if people didnt like cause this isssue?

EDMUNDS

At the track, all that hardware translates to a maximum 68.6-mph speed through our slalom and 0.88g on the skid pad. Here the lack of visibility was a hindrance through the slalom as well. It's difficult to see where the corners of this car are while you're driving. For most sane people, this sensation makes one overestimate the size of the car in order to ensure a safe distance from other cars or objects.

The Challenger isn't much through the slalom. That broad-of-beam brute feels composed through the cones but can muster only 64.7 mph (standard all-season tires hurt the Dodge here). The lighter and narrower Mustang is in a virtual dead heat with the Camaro at 68.4 mph and offers more outright grip on the skid pad at 0.91g. The small, nimble 370Z whoops all comers with a 72-mph run through the cones.
perfxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
I've seen .93 for the v6 and .90/.91 for the SS
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
they had crappy drivers who were too scared to push the car
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Other reviews show much better numbers. We always rely on the skill and honosty of the reviewers especially since most have their bias. The best thing to do is average the results out for a better feel of the normal numbers.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
Other reviews show much better numbers. We always rely on the skill and honosty of the reviewers especially since most have their bias. The best thing to do is average the results out for a better feel of the normal numbers.
or remember that the best numbers are from some very good drivers and that the lower numbers are more of what most drivers will actually see
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
perfxn

But that doesnt explain why the mustang had better numbers, unless the driver felt more comfortable in the GT and pushed it more?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
eddiehaskell

Drives: Pinto
Skidpad numbers are useless. Tires have the greatest impact on skidpad numbers. Just because one car puts up a better number DOES NOT mean it handles better or will go faster around the track. You can put a fairly sticky tire on a '93 Camaro around pull well over .90g.

0.89-.91 is perfectly fine considering most reviews have said the car soaks up bumps without a problem.
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Skidpad numbers are useless. Tires have the greatest impact on skidpad numbers. Just because one car puts up a better number DOES NOT mean it handles better or will go faster around the track. You can put a fairly sticky tire on a '93 Camaro around pull well over .90g.

0.89-.91 is perfectly fine considering most reviews have said the car soaks up bumps without a problem.
You are correct. Slalom is a better measurement in a test scenario. However, the Mustang GT matched the SS in that area as well, despite it's "archaic" rear suspension.

The truth of the matter is, the Camaro is going to be a great ponycar, arguably the best GM has ever produced, but much to many people's chagrin, it is only slightly ahead of it's competition in terms of performance, not the light-years many wanted to see.

Last edited by garagelogic; 03-20-2009 at 08:55 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
eddiehaskell

Drives: Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
You are correct. Slalom is a better measurement in a test scenario. However, the Mustang GT matched the SS in that area as well, despite it's "archaic" rear suspension.
Slalom is the same as skidpad...useless. A BMW M3 might slalom 69 mph...does that mean a Mustang GT handles better? I think not. These are just numbers. On track performance is where we cut through the BS numbers. I fully expect the Camaro to give the Mustang a good thrashing on the road course...better brakes, IRS, tons of power to spare.
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
perfxn

yea i might have to agree with you on that one, teh mustang's old tech is keeping up in the handling so far. I dnt really like that too much. i guess its kinda like not beating them by enough, i wana run up the score! lol
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post

The truth of the matter is, the Camaro is going to be a great ponycar, arguably the best GM has ever produced, but much to many people's chargrin, it is only slightly ahead of it's competition in terms of performance, not the light-years many wanted to see.
A. actually the Camaro won.

B. Its archaic rear suspension is embarrassing. Keep in mind thats with the track pack. The area where IRS will really shine over the primitive Mustang set up is ride quality. As you know.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

I wonder.... with the mustang being.... well, pretty much the same car as it has been for the last few years.... maybe the testers were "used" to it from testing it each year whereas the Camaro is a new breed of beast that they arent fully comfortable driving yet.

just a thought

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
perfxn

camarospike23 thats a good point. I cant figure how we do so well in the other handling areas but not this one. doesnt make much sense to me.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
or remember that the best numbers are from some very good drivers and that the lower numbers are more of what most drivers will actually see
What I would say is... give it 3 weeks. when they start getting into OUR hands... we'll be able to top them...

I'll set up a skid pad and a slallem at the Westfield Shopping Town at Southcenter in Tukwilla WA... We can test this shit there.

I bet you it'll pull 70mph through the cones... at least.
" First, there was darkness, Then, On March 16th, Scott said LET THERE BE CAMARO, and there was Camaro, and Scott saw that it was good. Camaro5 3:16"

VIN: 2G1FT1EWXA9120523
ETA 7/6/09 (Delivered 7/10/09)
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote