Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
question about applying Collinite 915

Okay guys, Here in Gulfport, MS the water is EXTREMELY hard and leaves nasty spots all over the car very quickly. After about 6 months of those water spots collecting with the car in my ownership i decided to run the PC7424XP on it with Meguires M105 and M205 through "Junkman's technique". The process took me a couple days of hard work 2 bucket washing the car, clay barring it, 2 bucket washing it again, M105, M205, and then finally Collinite 915. The car came out looking great. After a month and a half i've had the car garage kept and foam gunned the car/2 bucket washed the car/used a weak leafblower to dry the car at least 1 time a week and have rinsed the car down/leafblower dried the car everytime i have driven home in the rain. I went to apply a coat of Collinite 915 with a microfiber applicator on the 3 week intervals im applying it and busted out my 1000 watt worklight to see how my detail job is holding up and i'm noticing some light scratches and i suspect it may be happening during the application of Collinite 915. What is the best method for applying the paste wax? I have been using a Microfiber applicator pad. Should i be using a brand new one every time? Can i wash and reuse the applicator pads? Is there a better way to be applying this? I wash, dry, and wax the car in the garage and paint is cool to the touch so i don't think it has to do with my wash process. The only place i put elbow grease onto the paint is while waxing.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
It's hard to say what it could be. Even indoors, your wash media could be scratching the paint. Or, your microfiber applicator could have some grit in it. You should be washing it because dust will find its way in no matter what you do. You're not detailing in a sterile environment.

It's really impossible to say which is occurring, but hopefully it's relatively minor and a pass with 205 will clear it up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I never like applying anything to the surface of the car with microfiber... just feels like too grabby for me.

I would use one of these two:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-434-a...pplicator.aspx

http://www.autogeek.net/packageof3.html

I like the adam's applicator more, but one of those cost the price of six of the pinnacle foam applicators... either is good though!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I never like applying anything to the surface of the car with microfiber... just feels like too grabby for me.

I would use one of these two:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-434-a...pplicator.aspx

http://www.autogeek.net/packageof3.html

I like the adam's applicator more, but one of those cost the price of six of the pinnacle foam applicators... either is good though!

Completely agree. I missed the microfiber part of the OP. As Larry from AMMO NYC says, microfiber is for picking up, not putting down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
I think im gonna try the pinnacle foam applicators. I'll try that out and see if it stops the light scratches from getting any worse. If it works i'll pass over the car with some 205 in a couple of months and see if it clears it up.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Don't use the mircofiber app, these apps work awesome AutopiaCarCare
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote