Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Mechwarrior Online

Well, I had seen a video on it a while back and had been looking forward to it. Didn't know what the release date was, and went to find that it is now in beta, and you can play for free.

Mechwarrior has always been one of the best computer game/simulations around. We used to have a Mechwarrior Simulator (an actual group of machines built specifically to play this) here at a place in Seattle.

Anyways, just downloaded it and am learning it...but it looks really good.

Anyone else interested in checking this out?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
I have it downloaded and patched on my pc. Just haven't actually tried it yet.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I used to play the analog version- the tabletop game, with the maps and markers and record sheets
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Way too addicted to this game now.

Ended up spending money so I could get an Atlas and a couple of other chassis. Dual LB 10X AC's definitely rip the crap out of enemy mechs.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I played the beta a bit last year, was decent at the time. Always loved the Mech Warrior games, but my current game load plus college limits how many things I can devote time to heheh.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
What is the best XBOX variant of this game?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Closest thing that is still functioning would be Armored Core i believe. But, that's all third person anime style junk if you ask me.

Mech Warrior is really more of a simulator. You are the mech pilot, you sit in the co c k pit(sensors blocked out the normal spelling for that lol), you have to watch your heat levels, you can change up which guns are linked to eachother, shoot off components on the other mechs (including weapons and legs), etc...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
XBox? Where you play "lite" games?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
I would think that if you're in the market for a mech game, Armored Core series would be a great option.
It really comes down to personal taste in this one game. If you like more fast paced gameplay with less simulation in the game then go for it. If you're into more of a simulation type gameplay then I cant think of anything on the Xbox for that.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Well, the unique thing about Mechwarrior Online is...it is Mechwarrior, which has been around for ages and is very balanced as far as armored combat goes. It doesn't cater to a person who likes to run in and start blasting. You need to think out things because it takes a while to wear down armor on some of the bigger mechs.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Closest thing that is still functioning would be Armored Core i believe. But, that's all third person anime style junk if you ask me.

Mech Warrior is really more of a simulator. You are the mech pilot, you sit in the co c k pit(sensors blocked out the normal spelling for that lol), you have to watch your heat levels, you can change up which guns are linked to eachother, shoot off components on the other mechs (including weapons and legs), etc...
If you wana backtrack there's an assload of armored core games for the ps2 that are Great, you can get them on emulators for free nowadays.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
Brutal SS

Im starving for a game like this; you know, more like a simulator and not the run and blast kind of thing. I like managing resources, damage control, customizing weaponry, finding balance in the build, etc.

XBOX doesnt provide this, and Ive never had luck nor cared for running PC as the platform. :(
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Im starving for a game like this; you know, more like a simulator and not the run and blast kind of thing. I like managing resources, damage control, customizing weaponry, finding balance in the build, etc.

XBOX doesnt provide this, and Ive never had luck nor cared for running PC as the platform. :(
You can get some decent horsepower now for a decent price when it comes to PC's. The weird thing is, you can see games on PC's being dumbed down so they can also run on consoles. I mean this from a game-design standpoint.

A PC can allow for a multitude of inputs from keyboard & mouse to handheld controller to joystick to wheel & pedals. Though Mechwarrior Online really can be done with mouse & keyboard quite well...and the control is quite good once you get used to working both the torso twists (up/down & side/side) and movement/turning of the lower body.

Portal 2, Star Wars Old Republic, Diablo 3...even shooters are far better on PC's. The only thing console games excel at are sports games. Driving games are more accessible, however they are usually much less realistic.

I could write a novel on the differences between the two platforms, and how games have progressed and declined at the same time over the years. A lot of older games had much deeper strategy and control than many games on colsoles do now.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #14
Brutal SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
You can get some decent horsepower now for a decent price when it comes to PC's. The weird thing is, you can see games on PC's being dumbed down so they can also run on consoles. I mean this from a game-design standpoint.

A PC can allow for a multitude of inputs from keyboard & mouse to handheld controller to joystick to wheel & pedals. Though Mechwarrior Online really can be done with mouse & keyboard quite well...and the control is quite good once you get used to working both the torso twists (up/down & side/side) and movement/turning of the lower body.

Portal 2, Star Wars Old Republic, Diablo 3...even shooters are far better on PC's. The only thing console games excel at are sports games. Driving games are more accessible, however they are usually much less realistic.

I could write a novel on the differences between the two platforms, and how games have progressed and declined at the same time over the years. A lot of older games had much deeper strategy and control than many games on colsoles do now.
I need to graduate to a higher form of gaming. Simulations, and strategy games (both real time and turned based) are some of my favorite genres, and XBOX just isnt getting it done for me. :(