Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
rabidryan805

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Opinion on K&N intake??

Hey guys can I get your guys opinion on a K&N BlackHawk intake for a 2010-2012 SS? I've heard that K&N intakes are poorly made and dry filters aren't the best but Im kinda diggin it!
rabidryan805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I have the k@n typhoon...love it, the chrome finish ya ya it's metal gets warm but it sure looks better then black plastic. You will get a lot of opinions on this subject. But in the end get what you like ..it sounds great under hard acceleration. I think the there are favs on here. I just bought what I wanted.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
K&N seems to be among the least best performing, and I hate the way a chrome tube looks.

Sooooo many better options. CAI Inc, roto fab, ADM, vararam, etc etc
Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
What are you "diggin" about it? If you search this site for K&N intakes, you'll find that they are on the lower end as far as performance. They are just a metal or plastic tube with a filter on the end. The better intakes are far more than just that. I think you're more than likely digging the cheap price.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
rabidryan805

Just asking axis if its a good filter and I like the look I don't need you calling me a cheap ass or anything just tell me if its a good one or not! And what if it is around my area? Shit I wish I could have all that money to purchase a $400 c.a.i. Just give me a straight up opinion if its a good intake
Old 11-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidryan805 View Post
Just asking axis if its a good filter and I like the look I don't need you calling me a cheap ass or anything just tell me if its a good one or not! And what if it is around my area? Shit I wish I could have all that money to purchase a $400 c.a.i. Just give me a straight up opinion if its a good intake
Hahah...told you....it's just a tube with a filter on the end.....everyone has an opinion on everything here....do what you want. Some good advice some not.maybe you might like some of the other plastic tubes with a filter. And the chrome tube looks really good.And
400 before taxes is what I paid.

Last edited by rontammy0; 11-09-2013 at 06:36 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
rberns

Quote:
As I have stated in your past threads. Don't go with a K&N. Vararam, RotoFab, CAI etc, actually use better filters. Secondly, many of them use a completely sealed box that keeps engine bay temps out. I know with my CAI it has a lining on the inside of the box to insulate it from the heat. The elbow is also ceramic coated to keep out engine bay heat. K&N doesn't provide this. Its a plastic or metal tube with a cheap filter. If you don't have the money right now for a more expensive brand then save up your money till you do. Don't get into a rush with adding mods to your car. Later on down the road you will realize that you should have waited or gone a different route and then you will spend more money to fix it. Been there done that.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Straight up and down. NO IT IS a HOTAIR intake.

You have a 2011 get a vararam, you might find a used one in the classifieds.

Your welcome.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Listen to litle, he know's his what he's talkin' about! K&N has a very poor reputation around here because it just doesn't perform! Rabidryan, you asked for opinions and you even admit that the K&N may not be a good performer but it also sounds like you kinda like the looks. So go for what turns you on but be ready for a performance hit if you go K&N!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
rabidryan805

But you see Im going based of what I hear from other people too but Im kinda leaning more towards Roto-Fab now
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
KlugSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Don't go with a K&N. Vararam, RotoFab, CAI etc, actually use better filters.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
BroySS

Drives: 10' SS
I like the looks of the Roto Fab, especially color match options. I went with a CAI, alot of it is person preference.......there are some dyno sheets floating around here somewhere as well.....
BroySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Wow, what crawled up your ass. You asked our opinion and I gave it to you. I didn't call you a cheap ass, I just said you're more than likely digging the cheap price. Nothing wrong with liking the cheap price of something. Then you say in this very post that you can't afford a $400 intake. As I also said in my post, SEARCH and you will find your answer. Last I looked, the search function was FREE and it will save you tons of money by NOT buying stuff you won't like.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
But you see Im going based of what I hear from other people too but Im kinda leaning more towards Roto-Fab now
Not that rotofab is a bad intake but why not research the intakes we have available and make up you own mind? That way you won't have to buy based solely on what one or two people say.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)