Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
7500 Mile Engine Oil Analysis

I received the engine oil analysis from Blackstone today, good data and interesting comments. I will conduct a flush as recommended and do another 3000 mile test, may be an issue with bearings.

2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
AGP TT Kit
No track or drag during this cycle, daily driver.
Mobil 1 15W50

I would like to see a caparison with Amsoil, VT, JG, etc if anyone has one especially the phosphorus, zinc, and TBN.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Coker 2014 LS3 7500 miles.pdf (17.3 KB, 565 views)

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks for posting this information. I am also running the Mobil 1 15w50 but I am really starting to lose confidence in this oil. I am about to do my 2nd oil change since the cam, and I am thinking of going with a different oil, but with the same zinc and phosphorus as the M1.
I may have to send mine out for analysis and see what comes back.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
A question about the weight, why is it you are running such heavy oil viscosity and not running 5W/30?
Thanks
Dimitri
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I'm curious. How much to they charge for an analysis?

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
That does seem concerning, was this your first oil change since installing the AGP setup? I assume the turbos used use the motor oil for lubrication, the turbo break-in may be your source of the lead other than that I can't figure out where it would be coming from. I would also recommend mentioning the turbo set up to Blackstone and see what they have to say.

I am also courious as to why the choosen oil weight, we run 20w50 on our race car motors, but we tend to build them a little loose and they are older generation SBC and BBC motors that are used at consistent high RPMs for circle track use and it's not uncommon to race in high 80-90 degree weather.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Xmitterengineer

Drives: 2014 LS2
Considering the mods, just my opinion, I would not sweat it.
This is very likely break in wear metals.
No unusual consumption or noises...correct?

I would have changed the oil and filter a little sooner, however.
Nothing wrong with the 15W50 M1 in this application IMHO.

Sounds like FUN!

Good luck.

Rickey.
Xmitterengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
SGDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
A question about the weight, why is it you are running such heavy oil viscosity and not running 5W/30?
Thanks
Dimitri
Twin Turbo FI requires heavier oil due to heat.

Who Dares...Wins
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
SGDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I'm curious. How much to they charge for an analysis?
It is $25 at Blackstone labs and well worth the money. You can go to their site and they will send you sample bottle and all required shipping info.

Who Dares...Wins
Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
SGDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
That does seem concerning, was this your first oil change since installing the AGP setup? I assume the turbos used use the motor oil for lubrication, the turbo break-in may be your source of the lead other than that I can't figure out where it would be coming from. I would also recommend mentioning the turbo set up to Blackstone and see what they have to say.

I am also courious as to why the choosen oil weight, we run 20w50 on our race car motors, but we tend to build them a little loose and they are older generation SBC and BBC motors that are used at consistent high RPMs for circle track use and it's not uncommon to race in high 80-90 degree weather.
Yes it is and we all know this has been a weak point in the LS3 for years. This is the 2nd oil change since the TT install, every 3000 miles. I feel the turbo "flush" would be complete since the system uses oil, not water. My theory...heat. It will be something I pay close attention to for the life of the engine. I talked to Blackstone today and went over in detail what I am running and they are interested, another call Monday.

The oil is recommended by the builder ADM, and uses in all FI builds. May have to consider another weight after talking to Blackstone. I hope guys will spend $25 and get an analysis so we can start gathering data.

Who Dares...Wins
Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
SGDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmitterengineer View Post
Considering the mods, just my opinion, I would not sweat it.
This is very likely break in wear metals.
No unusual consumption or noises...correct?

I would have changed the oil and filter a little sooner, however.
Nothing wrong with the 15W50 M1 in this application IMHO.

Sounds like FUN!

Good luck.

Rickey.
Thanks Rickey. This is the 4th oil change and used a tried and tested break-in. I had a lifter fail in the number 7 at 4400 miles. I want to capture data and use controlled environment to gather the data.

Who Dares...Wins
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I ordered a test kit today. My engine was replaced after my number 6 lifter failed. I am going to try the Valvoline vr1 in a 10 w 30 weight. It has the same zinc and phos levels, but much a much better protection rating. I will have the M1 analyzied and see what they say.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
Thanks
Dimitri
exactly, these engines today are setup to run thin oil. running thicker oil is pretty stupid imo.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGDM View Post
Yes it is and we all know this has been a weak point in the LS3 for years. This is the 2nd oil change since the TT install, every 3000 miles. I feel the turbo "flush" would be complete since the system uses oil, not water. My theory...heat. It will be something I pay close attention to for the life of the engine. I talked to Blackstone today and went over in detail what I am running and they are interested, another call Monday.

The oil is recommended by the builder ADM, and uses in all FI builds. May have to consider another weight after talking to Blackstone. I hope guys will spend $25 and get an analysis so we can start gathering data.
I'd wait and see what the next UOA looks like and if the metals are trending downward, I wouldn't worry about it. Need to identify trends not isolated data points. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? That's the best way to know if you've got the right viscosity. I noted that your 50 weight was just about a 40 wt. I suspect ADM knows what their doing regarding the right oil for their builds.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
SGDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I'd wait and see what the next UOA looks like and if the metals are trending downward, I wouldn't worry about it. Need to identify trends not isolated data points. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? That's the best way to know if you've got the right viscosity. I noted that your 50 weight was just about a 40 wt. I suspect ADM knows what their doing regarding the right oil for their builds.
Absolutely and will continue testing to analyze the trends. I do have a OP gauge and is 50 psi at operating RPM. Thanks for the input.

Who Dares...Wins