Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
ShadySS

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS
Quick question on oil dip stick

Recently had the dealer change my oil, the other day i went and checked the dip stick, and it was only at 1/4, note this was after sitting over night, so cars completely cold, after I got to work, I let it sit for about 10 mins and checked, dip stick reads full.

So just wondering, which one I trust? Am I low on oil? Or I'm fine?
ShadySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I personally use the reading I get, after shutting it off for one hour.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Let it sit for a bit. These motors drain oil back into the pan for quite a bit after shutting down. I wait an hour too.

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
Dharmadude

Drives: 2017 SS 6M
This might be a very obvious idea, and in no way am I trying to talk down to you, but could the dip stick not be all the way in? This would assuredly show a bogus reading, especially after it read full when you pushed the stick all the way in. Just a silly thought.....however, running a motor with low oil is a recipe for disaster as we all know.
Dharmadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Checked the oil the first morning after bringing her home: full.
One week later while filling up at a gas station: down half. WTF!?
Later that evening after sitting for a bit: full.

Conclusion: as others have said, it drains back slow. Don't check the oil unless the car has sat for a bit.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmadude View Post
This might be a very obvious idea, and in no way am I trying to talk down to you, but could the dip stick not be all the way in? This would assuredly show a bogus reading, especially after it read full when you pushed the stick all the way in. Just a silly thought.....however, running a motor with low oil is a recipe for disaster as we all know.
I don't feel that you're talking down, sometimes we all miss the obvious things lol, but yes it's pushed all the way down.

And yes gunk that's exactly my question, your car was left over night, and you checked it cold, full correct? Then me being 1/4 only when cold would mean I'm low?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Attached Images

1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:03 AM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I had this issue as well. I try to keep a check on it since it's "breaking in" and the lowest I saw it was about an 1/8th from the bottom, after sitting overnight. still within the ok range, I drove to get food and oil. checked oil at autozone, and it was full, after having only sat maybe 10 minutes.

everytime I've checked since, after having sit for various lengths of time, it's been full, so I've added none. It was a weird occurence methinks.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
Next time
Look at the oil change maintenance by yourself...

I came with my own performance mobil1 oil,
Watched the guy and stop him before he put his std oil coming from their common tank,
And put my 10qts of Mobil 1
Checked the good level 3/4 on the stick marks
And I'm now feeling good...
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
How do you check the oil?
You sould pull the stick out gently and make the first reading. Clean the stick, push it back in. Pull it out again and make a second reading. When you push the stick in after the first reading a little oil which is left on the inside of the pipe will give you a slightly false reading. It take ages until the oil is drained back in pan.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I check mine after sitting overnight. The other day it was half way down in the cross hatched part on the dipstick so I added a half quart of oil and that brought it back to the correct level.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
How do you check the oil?
You sould pull the stick out gently and make the first reading. Clean the stick, push it back in. Pull it out again and make a second reading. When you push the stick in after the first reading a little oil which is left on the inside of the pipe will give you a slightly false reading. It take ages until the oil is drained back in pan.
I check as you explained above, I guess my driveway being kind of steep probably doesn't help, I'll check it when I'm done work, flat parking there.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Maybe I'm getting my cars muddled, but I think it's supposed to be half way up the hashed area cold when full. When warm, it'll be at the top of the hashed area. As long as it's in the hashed area, it's good. Below the hash/nothing seen - too little, add a half quart and check again (I think from bottom of hash to top is one quart). Above the hash - too much, and you may want to drain a little if this is a consistent reading (too much oil is worse than being a little low).
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
I check mine after sitting overnight. The other day it was half way down in the cross hatched part on the dipstick so I added a half quart of oil and that brought it back to the correct level.
I thought half way down was the appropriate level for cold oil and when warm, it should be all the way to the top of the cross hatch?
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote