Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
jordaromera

Drives: CAMARO SS 2012 L99 PROCHARGED/METH
Need help with rotors

Hi,

I have a 2012 camaro procharged in Europe, new i need to change the rotors, the problem it's the oem rotors they have folded.

I have a very limitations with the shipping to my country, i have access to this rotors and i need help to decide:

Option 1: Granatelli Motor Sports Brake Rotors 500062 + Brake pads, for example hawk or any sugerences.

Option 2: Power Stop 1-Click Street Warrior Z26 Brake Kits

Option 3: Power Stop Track Day Brake Kits

Option 4: Power Stop Track Day Plus Brake Kits

Option 5: StopTech Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors

Or any other option in summitracing, i need to buy in this web because i need other parts to perform maintenance in my camaro and this web ships to my country: Andorra.

I need help to decide, thanks in advance
jordaromera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Check the product reviews to get the most current feedback I suppose.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I'm wearing Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors and I do recommend them because I've had them on now for like 3+yrs without issue and no noise these days. However, that wasn't always so. If you install them without 'turning' them, they will squeal badly.

I tried swapping out pads and until I 'turned' them rotors, I had issues.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You can't get OE rotors? But why?

Anyways... holes are for looks. They take away braking surface area, and are the perfect spot for cracks to form.

So in your selection of what is available to you... chose - looks or stopping power.

Did an HPDE last weekend, guy in a 6th gen shows up with aftermarket drilled rotors...aftermarket pads... After the first session, the car is on jackstands...rotors and pads in the trash barrel. OE rotors back on... car perfect the rest of the track day. The OE Brembos are better than most give credit for... until they track some of the aftermarket junk out there.

There are great racing brakes out there... high $$$$$ stuff. Great for someone at the pro level of driving skills. Most will do just fine with the OE Brembo pads and rotors.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
I had great service from DBA slotted rotors on my GTO. Similar car & weight to the Camaro. To Russell James- the slots & holes do serve a purpose other than looks, but they do look cool. If you use a high quality drilled, slotted or drilled & slotted rotor you won't have problems.
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

Also never had an issue with breaking due to 'surface loss', and there are no cracks on these 3+year old Power Stop Rotors...
Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
I always watch what actual race cars use, the answer is Drilled OR Slotted. not both. otherwise, you get stress fractures.
But that is racing!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #8
jordaromera

Drives: CAMARO SS 2012 L99 PROCHARGED/METH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Also never had an issue with breaking due to 'surface loss', and there are no cracks on these 3+year old Power Stop Rotors...
you have the part number?

I don't happy with OEM, i have folded in two years.
jordaromera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I have the StopTech axle pack kit, which is their cross drilled and slotted rotors and their Street Pads.

The rotors are great but the pads they include are cheap garbage, imho of course.

I have never had any noise issues, but they are the messiest and dustiest pads I have ever used. Not only that, but I think the pads are contaminated with some sort of harder metal than the pad material. Each one of my front rotors is now starting to get a gouged circle worn into it. Its as if there is some harder material in the pad that is digging into the rotor and causing it to not wearing evenly. They are a semi-metallic carbon brake pad. I should have gone with ceramic.

Bottom line: Don't cheap out on the pads like I did. Good quality pads are just as important as the rotors you choose.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I agree with drilled or slotted not both......And you may like the ceramic for longevity but they are not as quick a stopper as a semi metallic though cleaner on the wheels.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #11
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordaromera View Post
you have the part number?

I don't happy with OEM, i have folded in two years.
I'll see if I can dig up the order for you tomorrow. It has been a few years...
Old 10-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

Here you go, ordered from Amazon. Ordered and Installed them in Feb 2014, still working perfectly:

Power Stop K5603 Front and Rear Z23 Evolution Brake Kit with Drilled/Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads
Old 10-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I have no opinion as far as your rotor choices go, but wanted to say I think it's bad ass that your running a FI Camaro over there! Hats off to you, dude. I'm sure it's a rare sight in Spain.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rotors brakes pads