Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Army333

Drives: 2011 2SS IBM CAMARO
Is This a Minor or Major Scratch???

I've posted about these pictures before, but I have a completely different question to ask:

1) Is it true that if not taken care of right away, scratches can casue further damages? I read that in the owners manual, but it seems too serious for a scratch.

2) Can anyone tell if this would be considered a minor or major scratch (pictures below)? The owners manual states that Major Scratches should be taken care of right away to prevent further damage (as asked in question 1). But from what I read about Minor Scratches, it seems like I can wait to have it fixed. I only want to wait in case I get more so I can have them all taken care of at one time. With that said; I see my issue as a minor scratch, and that's why I asked question 1. But I wanted to get another's insight as I am still new to the car world (or...actually taking care of my car to the point of OCD...which I have). It was the work of a rock and my driving behind a semi-truck. It feels rough but only because I feel that the paint was pushed back a little. I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Attached Images

Army333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
That looks like more of a gouge than a scratch (so I guess I'd say major) but pictures sometimes tend to make things look worse than they are.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Typically if its through the clearcoat or you can easily catch your nail in it then its considered a major scratch because it can't be buffed out. It will cause damage if it goes to bare metal as it will begin to rust but it doesn't look like it has. Can't really tell from the pic if its just in the clearcoat or it made it to the color layer. As long as you can't see metal just get it fixed when you can but its not like you need to do it tomorrow.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
In my book that is a major gouge. It's completely down to the metal. Which means ,in time it will rust. If it were mine I would get it fixed sooner rather than later.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Army333, do you happen to know what caused that scratch/gouge ?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
rlem00

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I would say that if it breaks a layer of paint, be it clear, base coat, primer, or ecoat, you run the risk of further damage to the coating. When you break a layer of paint you allow for moisture to enter the coating system and over time it will creep into the coating causing the defect to grow. These coatings are designed to resist this, to a point, but not long term. I would say get it clean and fix it ASAP, but would not worry too much as if it's repaired it will remain a cosmetic blimish only! I would worry more if it is down to the substrate.
rlem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Army333

I believe it was a rock that I hit while driving behind a semi-truck.

I was hoping it wasn't too bad. The body shop said they could fix it but would have to strip the paint, resand, and then reapply. The total amount was going to be $680.00.

Is this a just price?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Army333

Here's a close up I was able to take:
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
ouch, that is definitely major.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Army333

Ouch to my ears...LoL

Will adding a coat of wax help protect it until I have it fixed? And if so, usually how long will the coat last?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
thats a bad one.. you can do one of 2 things.. touch is up with a brush with touch up base coat then use a brush to put a layer of clear on, or you can have a shop blend that area..

wax wont protect that.. it doesnt look like its down to the metal.. but if it is, i would at least touch it up to protect it..

Rob.. auto body painter..
Old 06-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

I honestly would buff it just to get anything out that was possible, and probably not much here, and then I would get a touch-up marker... I get mine from automotivetouchup.com and then I would touch it up. I would then wet sand it followed by a buff again and you probably won't even notice it is there that much.

I had a IBM 2009 Pontiac G5 GT. I was adding a supercharger to it and had it running in from of my house. I got out and went into the garage to get something, coolant or something, and I didn't have the ebrake on and it coasted forward dragging the bottom of the door along my stone along my driveway. It was just high enough to remove about a 2 foot section of paint on the bottom of my door. It was only about a 1/4 high and 2 feet long. I got the marker from Automotive Touch Up and then I sanded and buffed and you would never notice it was there.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army333 View Post
Here's a close up I was able to take:
You know since this was first posted don't you think you should maybe touch it up with matching factory paint by now. Also you need to rub your finger on it and tell us if it is deep into the metal or not. If not just touch it up, get 1500 grit sand paper and that kit that levels off the touch up paint and call it a day.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote